Over feeding of fish

Is it possible to overfeed fish?

  • No

    Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Yes

    Votes: 53 65.4%
  • Maybe

    Votes: 20 24.7%

  • Total voters
    81
I would think that like any animal, overfeeding can and would lead to obesity and other health related issues. It may be lore, but I was always told that a goldfish would eat until it became impacted.

While my dogs never were satisfied, there are many animals, such as many cats and some dogs, where a bowl of dry food can sit there all day uneaten.
 
While my dogs never were satisfied, there are many animals, such as many cats and some dogs, where a bowl of dry food can sit there all day uneaten.


That's my dog acutally. Years ago at Vet's visit I said does he look skinny? The answer, noooooo he is actually perfect!
 
I think it is a lot more common to underfeed than to overfeed, and I'm certainly not sure if you could over feed a fish to death or not.

In a foolish attempt at nutrient control, and a feeling that there has to be plenty of people out there with day jobs that can only feed once a day, that's all I did for the first 7-8 months. Reading more on here taught me that this was indeed foolish.

So I got an auto feeder and feed 3x a day now, and I swear all of my fish except the 6 line wrasse have grown visibly, and are fatter and look healthier.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 10.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new