Overcomplicating simple things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with most things in this hobby the word "acclimate" seems to get overcomplicated.

Maybe I'm alone on this but I see "acclimatization" all the time and it's very frustrating because "acclimation" is the real word and I have no idea why we keep making up variations of the word. I swear I keep hearing and seeing "acclimatizated" where "acclimated" is supposed to be. And what's worse!! "Aclimatize" used as a verb!? What? You don't acclimatize a fish. You acclimate a fish.

OK sorry for the soap box pet peave rant.

Tune in next week for my gripes on the subject of "my DT/sump overflows, so I must add valves and switches and nonsense"

What grinds your gears?

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an oversimplification, with a bias. Please keep that type of mental gymnastics to your Facebook page
Telling people what to post and where is incredibly rude, dude. You're blocking the flow, man. o_O

Upvote 0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Hot water heater” if the water was already hot, it wouldn’t need heating.
The water in the heater is hot, just not hot enough. Unless 123 degrees doesn't count as hot but 125 degrees does?

Upvote 0

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATM machine
This one kills me. So you got money from the automatic teller machine machine? For us married guys does that mean we get money from our wife wife?

I’ll throw in an IT nerd one.

NIC card. So you connected the network interface card card? Forgive me if I no longer take you seriously…….

Upvote 0

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aware now that's why I apologized

An apology for past mistakes or unawareness?
If unawareness might an apology cover both unconscious and/or unconscientious behavior?
Corrected behavior or repetitive patterns of behavior might lead from apologies to Apologetics (when heels dig in).
Sarcasm on Thursdays should be saved for Mondays. Join me live for second day Sarcasm Mondays.
Anybody else keep adding words to spell checker dictionaries? Grammarly throws a tantrum when quoting various Scripture/translations.
Seems Grammarly disagrees not only about proper spelling but also punctuation.
Dictionaries appear to lean towards common usage rather than etymology.
Dictionaries are taken over by Post Modernism.

Proper English from 1560 Geneva. Best selling book of all time (English translations are time capsules) :)

Alphabet
Alpha & Bet

b677a4d4f2b4c13d50b5a3538d60e160.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real admin? Unbelievable. That's why people can't grow and learn as hobbyists. Someone posts a controversial theory of operation and it turns to a back and forth do you all just nuke it. Nice. I know this was silly back and forth but I also know it happens on more important topics like filtration flow rates, medication regimen, quarantine procedures, etc. Thanks. Go ahead and block me/ban me I don't care. My reef is gonna run just fine either way. You guys all have an ego problem that always trumps progress. I guess it wouldn't be of much interest to your "sponsors" if there were a few threads about low tech approaches and reefing without inane rest kits and dosing 14 different minerals and supplements, chasing some arbitrary number. At least you are consistent and apply it to OT threads too. So, congratulations there. Eh.

Upvote 0

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real admin? Unbelievable. That's why people can't grow and learn as hobbyists. Someone posts a controversial theory of operation and it turns to a back and forth do you all just nuke it. Nice. I know this was silly back and forth but I also know it happens on more important topics like filtration flow rates, medication regimen, quarantine procedures, etc. Thanks. Go ahead and block me/ban me I don't care. My reef is gonna run just fine either way. You guys all have an ego problem that always trumps progress. I guess it wouldn't be of much interest to your "sponsors" if there were a few threads about low tech approaches and reefing without inane rest kits and dosing 14 different minerals and supplements, chasing some arbitrary number. At least you are consistent and apply it to OT threads too. So, congratulations there. Eh.
Yes for real. We do not allow back and forth arguing such as what was happening here. I normally wouldn’t respond to a comment like this but you were the one who alerted us to this thread by reporting multiple comments. And you lost me with the whole “sponsor angle”…

Also just to be clear no content pertaining to the discussion was removed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tlledsmar

Tlledsmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for real. We do not allow back and forth arguing such as what was happening here. I normally wouldn’t respond to a comment like this but you were the one who alerted us to this thread by reporting multiple comments. And you lost me with the whole “sponsor angle”…

Also just to be clear no content pertaining to the discussion was removed.
1. It's inconsequential in effect
B. It's a display of poor common practice
4. Enjoy your nether world
§3. Overflowing tanks are a function of idiocy

Good day.

Upvote 0

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. It's inconsequential in effect
B. It's a display of poor common practice
4. Enjoy your nether world
§3. Overflowing tanks are a function of idiocy

Good day.
Talk about over complicating simple things….

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back