Overcrowded my 20 gallon long? (Don't judge me to hard.)

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*For starters i would like to say that there is no fighting in my tank, they all actually have a good amount of space im more concerned about the bioload in the 20 gallon, so give me tips, please.
So,
Basically to put it simply i fear that i have over populated my 20 gallon long tank.
These are the current fish/verts in my tank:

2x Ignitus Anthias
2x Clowfish
2x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
4x Firefish
4x Damsels
1x Flame Angle
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Scooter Blenny
1x Cloud Wrasse
1x Black Cardinalfish
--------------------
1x Cleaner Shrimp
10x Crabs (Small)
4x Turbo Snails (Small)

Its a lot of fish yes, and some of these have a recommended tank size of 70 gallons+; heres my question with frequent water changed, proper feeding will they be able to survive?

Thanks for helping!

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they be able to survive - possibly, but it’s also important for us fishkeepers to keep in mind a level of quality of life for our fish. While they may be ok for a while, there’s a good chance they will get stressed out and be more susceptible to disease. Best of luck.

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they be able to survive - possibly, but it’s also important for us fishkeepers to keep in mind a level of quality of life for our fish. While they may be ok for a while, there’s a good chance they will get stressed out and be more susceptible to disease. Best of luck.
Thanks for the fast reply, i will try to upgrade the tank when i have the proper funds!

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just water quality you should be concerned with. Also the stress you put on a fish that is too large for an aquarium or one that requires more room to roam. The concern shouldn't be "will they survive"? But also will they thrive? We also should remember these fish generally are harvested from the ocean for our enjoyment. We should be making their captivity as comfortable and as close to their natural environments as possible. Just my two cents

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not just water quality you should be concerned with. Also the stress you put on a fish that is too large for an aquarium or one that requires more room to roam. The concern shouldn't be "will they survive"? But also will they thrive? We also should remember these fish generally are harvested from the ocean for our enjoyment. We should be making their captivity as comfortable and as close to their natural environments as possible. Just my two cents
Yes with proper filtration and maintenance they could “survive”. Their long term health will almost certainly suffer.

Thanks for the reply, i will try to upgrade the tank size soon.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about survival even. It's only a matter of time before the more assertive fish start picking off the more passive. I would start rehoming or setting up a larger tank.

I am curious, do you not have the 55g anymore?

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, i will try to upgrade the tank size soon.
If it's within your budget then I would highly encourage this :) if you don't have the time or money currently then an option can be to sell to local reefers or trade in for store credit until your upgrade. Do you happen to have a full tank shot you could share with us all?

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about survival even. It's only a matter of time before the more assertive fish start picking off the more passive. I would start rehoming or setting up a larger tank.

I am curious, do you not have the 55g anymore?

Its Being Used By Aggresive Fish, unfortunately.

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's within your budget then I would highly encourage this :) if you don't have the time or money currently then an option can be to sell to local reefers or trade in for store credit until your upgrade. Do you happen to have a full tank shot you could share with us all?
I agree with zack 801

Yes i can input a photo in a couple of hour for you to see whenever you are next online, Currently my fish are put to sleep and i don't want to stress them out i will try to get a shot of all of them fully moving and socializing in the morning!

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it only has 5 Clowns in it (55) than why not just add your 20 to the 55. The 5 Clowns will only cause problems to the 2 existing clowns in the 20. Better yet. Move everything but the clowns and the hawk. Just my $.02

-Zack

OP
OP
Nico Ellis

Nico Ellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it only has 5 Clowns in it (55) than why not just add your 20 to the 55. The 5 Clowns will only cause problems to the 2 existing clowns in the 20. Better yet. Move everything but the clowns and the hawk. Just my $.02

-Zack

The tank has more inhabitants now, some of which just don't take kindly to other fish, however i am commited to finding them a bigger tank in a couple of weeks, i will not keep them in there for to long just have to do it at the moment for monetary reasons.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has more inhabitants now, some of which just don't take kindly to other fish, however i am commited to finding them a bigger tank in a couple of weeks, i will not keep them in there for to long just have to do it at the moment for monetary reasons.

Short term is probably_ok_ but long term no. Think of it as a QT. I would say 90 days to find a bigger tank before things can get iffy.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. You have almost as many fish as I do in my 220. All kidding aside, I would craigslist or post to a forum a few of those fish and try to rehome them to someone elses tank. A very common and easy thing to do in this hobby is to impulse buy and overstock tanks. Both of which you will regret in the long term.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*For starters i would like to say that there is no fighting in my tank, they all actually have a good amount of space im more concerned about the bioload in the 20 gallon, so give me tips, please.
So,
Basically to put it simply i fear that i have over populated my 20 gallon long tank.
These are the current fish/verts in my tank:

2x Ignitus Anthias
2x Clowfish
2x Kaudern's Cardinalfish
4x Firefish
4x Damsels
1x Flame Angle
1x Flame Hawkfish
1x Scooter Blenny
1x Cloud Wrasse
1x Black Cardinalfish
--------------------
1x Cleaner Shrimp
10x Crabs (Small)
4x Turbo Snails (Small)

Its a lot of fish yes, and some of these have a recommended tank size of 70 gallons+; heres my question with frequent water changed, proper feeding will they be able to survive?

Thanks for helping!

I think you know what you have to do.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back