Help Picking a Wave Maker for 20 Long LPS Tank

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to add more coral to my tank and I noticed multiple new pieces of LPS not doing well and shrinking up, not wanting to open/expand. Adding up my two wavemakers and my HOB I realized I'm at something like 80x tank turnover on an LPS and softie tank. Even if I drop one powerhead and use just the lower powered one I'm still at 30x when I include the HOB. It seems like 20 or lower is a common recommendation for LPS tanks so looking for ways to reduce flow further. I also like the idea of two opposing wavemakers as it seems to help with circulation and keeping particulate suspended for the filter to grab.

I've been looking at the Jeboa SOW-3 as a possible replacement. It claims to go as low as 132 gallons per hour (and up to 792) or the Jeboa SLW-5 which seems to be the same except for different flow nozzle. What I like about these is that even if the lowest setting proved to be the max for me, my understanding is that I could still add a second on the opposite side and link the two on a slave/master where they alternate to get that effect I'm after without doubling the flow.

I purchased a Hygger 1,600 back in the spring because I liked that it's adjustable and since it's marketed as being for nanos from 3gallon to 25 I figured it would be perfect for a 20 long. However, at the minimum setting of 40% that's still 640g or 42x tank turnover when including my HOB filter so I just think it's way overpowered for my tank.

Wondering what others are running on 20 longs. Thanks!

OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a related note I've noticed my Royal Gramma is especially impacted by the flow. Even when I only have on the smaller powerhead that pumps 425 g/h he hides virtually all the time. The second I turn it off so that the only flow is the HOB, he comes out and stays out.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon long tank (30 x 12 x 12) and I use two wave makers - jebao slw-5 and sow-3

The are positioned on opposite ends of the tank, about 1/3rd from the front and pointing towards the back wall.
Both run on "else" mode (random pulse) at the lowest power setting. I have to be careful about coral placement but I get plenty of areas that have low flow, areas that have high flow, and areas that have random flow.

I recently moved some candy canes down off the rockwork because they were retracted due to too high of flow (it took me a while to figure out that was what the problem was)

Of the two, I think the sow-3 creates more movement in the tank because it's got a narrower output. I went for a while with just that one and it was moving the entire tank pretty well on it's own. I added the second one because there was some buildup in places that I wanted to be able to flush out.

---

About the fish, I think they just take a while to get used to things. I have clowns that would hide from the flow even when I only had the single wave maker. Now it's been a while and they aren't bothered even by two wave makers (though they do hide for a minute right when the flow turns on).

It could also have to do with having other fish in the tank to show them it's okay to be out and about. When my clowns were being scared of the flow it was also when they were the only ones in the tank. Now I have two other fish as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razorbacks

Razorbacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Jebao SLW-3 and I'm very happy with it. Just wish I had bought it before the others. As soon as made the switch to lower flow all the fish were happier. RG comes out a lot more and the clowns now roam the tank freely instead of sticking to single corner.

I had just used the one powerhead for awhile and coral were very happy, but I've realized that I'm starting to grow turf algae on the sandbed which is something I never had before. I just added a second Jebao to the opposite side so I can get a rotational flow going again and hopefully cut down on build up on the sandbed. Also have a watchman goby in QT who should help keep that stirred up longer term. If that's not enough I'll add a small conch in a couple months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back