Overfeeding Duncan?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just got a Duncan and really enjoying this little guy. But I feed mysis to my clowns, absent/ghost goby and fire shrimp every day. Can't help but drop an extra
IMG_20211110_173043505.jpg
mysis or two on top of the Duncan, and he readily accepts it. I was recommended to only target feed once per week.

Question is, will the extra feedings have a negative impact on the Duncan's health/wellbeing?

Thanks!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I target feed mine 3-4x a week when i do my acans and sun corals and they gobble it up and grow like weeds. Not saying it is necessary, but also dont think it is detrimental.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Just got a Duncan and really enjoying this little guy. But I feed mysis to my clowns, absent/ghost goby and fire shrimp every day. Can't help but drop an extra
IMG_20211110_173043505.jpg
mysis or two on top of the Duncan, and he readily accepts it. I was recommended to only target feed once per week.

Question is, will the extra feedings have a negative impact on the Duncan's health/wellbeing?

Thanks!
Corals can swallow more than they can digest. Food digestion is FILO (first in last out) so the food may not all be digested before it must eliminate. Since they poop and eat through the same produce, this can lead to decaying food before its digested and lead to a build up of nitrates. Of you have a robust system, it may not be a problem. But it seems giving the coral time to digest and eliminate between feeding is best.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back