Overflow Box Confusion

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fijibox overflow that I am planning to assembling with all of the other plumbing glued together except the overflow itself. I can't find any information on the material that the bulkheads are made of so I an glue the plumbing in place. I have also read that people just dry fit their PVC and don't have issues with leaks. Looking for some guidance whether I use ABS to PVC cement, PVC to PVC cement or dry fit and ruin my carpets...

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fijibox overflow that I am planning to assembling with all of the other plumbing glued together except the overflow itself. I can't find any information on the material that the bulkheads are made of so I an glue the plumbing in place. I have also read that people just dry fit their PVC and don't have issues with leaks. Looking for some guidance whether I use ABS to PVC cement, PVC to PVC cement or dry fit and ruin my carpets...
I used abs to pvc. It was green. But I don’t think you can go with just dry fitting. But I know people do pvc to pvc as well without an issue.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an all purpose pvc cement by Oatey. Transistion cement works also. Those bulkheads are abs. Don’t use primer on abs though. Will make it supper gooey and soft. Definitely glue in the fittings on the bottom side of the box. The fittings inside the box itself can be dry fitted. Most have to experiment a little to get the overflow dialed in so you wouldn’t want to glue these internal fittings in place. So far as the height on the primary, secondary, and emergency drain. That is if you’re doing a bean animal style. Or just the the primary and the emergency if you’re doing a herbie style.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeonRabbit221B

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. Literally google searched it and found nothing for about 30 minutes. I do have transition cement so that is what I will use. I have unions after both drains and have gate valves to adjust flow. Appreciate the advice but its my first time and a bit nervous! Thanks yall

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dry fitted mine. In the last 3 months I had to disassemble twice so if you glue not sure how that would work out. No leaks here and I have expensive hardwood floors. Don't get me wrong I think gluing is smart but just make sure you have a way to quick disconnect.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so confused by those running dry fittings on the outside of the overflow box. Any help on explaining on how this would be safe? If you want to disconnect you should have planned your unions on the runs. Inside the box I run dry fit, that's standard as a leak inside will be negligible. Then if you want to change heights of your internal pipes you can do that no prob. I have a three drain setup so I run a pipe inside the box on the durso and emergency drain but no pipe on the siphon. If you have a two pipe setup you'll probably want to run pipe on the siphon to reduce crashing noise

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back