Overflow Box Sump 75g setup

Jallen42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am wanting to look at setting up an overflow box for a sump on the 75g tank I have. It can not be drilled or I would rather do that.

I am likely going to get a PF800 unless I am swayed otherwise. I know that I have read that people recommend taking off the pre filter and not putting a valve to restrict flow on the overflow (just a straight shot from overflow to sump). They also recommend building a stockman sand pipe for in the place of the pre filter.

I have read that for a constant siphon and trying to prevent flooding I would need a similar gph going back in the tank as it is being taken out. Does anyone recommend good pumps to pair with the PF800 for a 75g?

I guess I am asking for what products I should look into and how to best prevent my floors from being ruined :).

Im not experienced in reef tanks or sumps, but want to try one.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am wanting to look at setting up an overflow box for a sump on the 75g tank I have. It can not be drilled or I would rather do that.

I am likely going to get a PF800 unless I am swayed otherwise. I know that I have read that people recommend taking off the pre filter and not putting a valve to restrict flow on the overflow (just a straight shot from overflow to sump). They also recommend building a stockman sand pipe for in the place of the pre filter.

I have read that for a constant siphon and trying to prevent flooding I would need a similar gph going back in the tank as it is being taken out. Does anyone recommend good pumps to pair with the PF800 for a 75g?

I guess I am asking for what products I should look into and how to best prevent my floors from being ruined :).

Im not experienced in reef tanks or sumps, but want to try one.
So you want the overflow on the display tank but don’t want to drill it? Fwiw, I love that my tank is drilled because the equipment is less visible.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an overflow with 2 drain connections like a PF1200.
Use one with a single drain only on small tanks of 30 gallons or smaller.
I used a PF1200 for a while and then drilled my 75 for an internal overflow.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pump that will put that put out 600-800 gph. I have that same HOB overflow and I'm running a 650gph return pump and have no issues at all. If you get a DC controllable pump you should have no issue at all keeping water where it's supposed to be.

OP
OP
J

Jallen42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you want the overflow on the display tank but don’t want to drill it? Fwiw, I love that my tank is drilled because the equipment is less visible.
I believe my tank is not made of glass that can be drilled. I don’t mind the equipment being seen I just read that most people use sumps, canisters have to be cleaned very often, and I highly doubt one of my sponge filters will do the job I need it to.

OP
OP
J

Jallen42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an overflow with 2 drain connections like a PF1200.
Use one with a single drain only on small tanks of 30 gallons or smaller.
I used a PF1200 for a while and then drilled my 75 for an internal overflow.
Do you make any modifications to the PF1200?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PF-800 is fine. You don't need more than 300gph on your 75g tank. It's pointless to do more as the water isn't going to be processed.

You can use a DC pump to match flow.....maybe a valve on the box output to minimize bubbles

If using a standard pump have a valve to control return flow. There is zero chance of overflowing the box as the valve once set is static.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back