LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is my first tank and I built a sump with it but the overflow takes in water fine but it fills up and then goes down to a gurgle the tube on the bottom that fills the sump blows air out of the tank too. Is there not enough water or to much?

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of return pump do you have? Have also tried adjusting the gate valve? You may just need to add water.

OP
OP
LeChef

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinds of return pump do you have? Have also tried adjusting the gate valve? You may just need to add water.
I have a jebao 2500 I’ve turned it down and up but it doesn’t seem to help and I have a gate valve on my main siphon but when I turn it it makes all the water head straight to the emergency siphon

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut everything off.
Be careful the sump does not overflow when you do this.

once all flow has stopped, fill the sump up to an inch below the top.
Turn on the return pump. If you are still having issues then your sump is too small, or you need to reduce the flow in your return.

hth.

OP
OP
LeChef

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
LeChef

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut everything off.
Be careful the sump does not overflow when you do this.

once all flow has stopped, fill the sump up to an inch below the top.
Turn on the return pump. If you are still having issues then your sump is too small, or you need to reduce the flow in your return.

hth.
Yea my smart idea was to fill it up (water testing only luckily) from the sump so I have it easier. Not smart on my part, had a mini tsunami and am now trying your idea

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain how an overflow gurgling is an emergency?

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but seeing the pics in your other thread, it looks like you're using a ball valve instead of a gate valve for your primary drain. Gate valves are better for fine tuning the flow, and switching to and adjusting a gate valve will probably solve your problem. Ball valves just don't offer enough control for a quiet overflow imo.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be completely wrong, but seeing the pics in your other thread, it looks like you're using a ball valve instead of a gate valve for your primary drain. Gate valves are better for fine tuning the flow, and switching to and adjusting a gate valve will probably solve your problem. Ball valves just don't offer enough control for a quiet overflow imo.
i have to agree with this 3 of my 4 set ups have the same style drain & on the first one i used a ball valve cause i had one left over from a bathroom project. i played with it back & forth & couldn't get it to shut up to save my life. went & got a gate valve & within a few adjustments it was working just fine. the next tanks i set up with the gate valve to start with & have had no issues getting them dialed in.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back