Overflow is very loud

Dual40IM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the same noise you are talking about when I turn up my 2 gyre 250 wave pumps. Just have to reposition them so the flow isn't hitting the inside box. Another problem I have had in the past is the length of the drain pipe going into the water in the sump. If it is too long it will trap air in the line. My drains are only about 1 1/2 inches under the water level in the sump. As Mixer911 stated, it is scary looking to raise the water level in the rear box but I had to do the same thing, so far so good. Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use some of the black foam in my overflow just above the water line so the water cascades onto the foam rather than hitting the water itself. Every week or so I remove and clean and then reinstall. It quieted my overflow considerably.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mixer911 So I think raising the pipe did the trick! The mp40 splashing does still make some noise but I don't think that can be helped. Thanks.

However, I'm wondering if it's ok if I leave the lid off the external overflow? I'm still having issues with salt creep. If I take the lid off though, I can see the overflow box starting to bow from the weight of the water inside it.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just removed the U-pipe for the full siphon because having a vent hole did not serve any purpose. Once this was done I just adjusted the full siphon valve until no air bubbles come out of the sump inlet.

Brandon Wilcox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same exact problem with my ghost overflow. I was running too much water through it. I won't make that mistake again. It was so loud!!!

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with noise inside the box caused by the water failing over the wier. I had to raise the water higher than I would have liked by increasing the height of the trickle overflow pipe to stop the splashing sound. It makes me nervous running the water that high but fixes the issue.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime it’s the height of the secondary pipe that is most important.
You don’t want the water level falling too far from front box into external box. Makes noise

Adjust full siphon valve so that secondary pipe is about halfway underwater. Then check “fall” level and adjust height of secondary accordingly

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a good idea if you are at all concerned about water on the floor. Unforeseen circumstances could leave that mesh clogged and overflowing the tank. Just know that it’s a risk you take with doing this.
This stuff litterally comes flying out of any orface its placed in with minimal pressure, so it wont be the cause of a backup so long as its placed there loosely. As soon as the line becomes active even the smallest amount of flow will push it right out.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff litterally comes flying out of any orface its placed in with minimal pressure, so it wont be the cause of a backup so long as its placed there loosely. As soon as the line becomes active even the smallest amount of flow will push it right out.
Synergy recommends putting it into the interior overflow box. It has nowhere to go if it clogs up.

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Synergy recommends putting it into the interior overflow box. It has nowhere to go if it clogs up.
O.0 they are recomending it as a splash inhibitor, that wreaks of design flaw and a another point of maintnance. It will hold food and other things that are supposed to make it down to the sump. I would personally just cut some plexiglass baffles to stop water from splashing down in the interior box, not another sponge to be another point of maintnance.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.0 they are recomending it as a splash inhibitor, that wreaks of design flaw and a another point of maintnance. It will hold food and other things that are supposed to make it down to the sump. I would personally just cut some plexiglass baffles to stop water from splashing down in the interior box, not another sponge to be another point of maintnance.
Yep, you got it. :)

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So raising the pipes did end up making it less noisy, but certainly not silent. And this salt creep is bothering me quite a bit... Any ideas @mixer911 ? My external box water level is about .75 inch from the top. Also I can't put the U pipe on my open channel anymore because the lid won't close with it being so high..

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So raising the pipes did end up making it less noisy, but certainly not silent. And this salt creep is bothering me quite a bit... Any ideas @mixer911 ? My external box water level is about .75 inch from the top. Also I can't put the U pipe on my open channel anymore because the lid won't close with it being so high..
Before trusting this new water level, I would run some test and block the main and trickle to see how quickly that emergency kicks in. I would say you might end up with a couple gallons on the floor. It happening in front of you is one thing, it happening when your not home could be costly.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before trusting this new water level, I would run some test and block the main and trickle to see how quickly that emergency kicks in. I would say you might end up with a couple gallons on the floor. It happening in front of you is one thing, it happening when your not home could be costly.

I ran that test actually, and the emergency kicked in correctly at least.

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there really no way to fix the salt creep issue..? The salt creep builds up in a matter of 2-3 days. I've already raised the water level in the box to be so high, is there really no solution to this??

@mixer911

Ariel V Rosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there really no way to fix the salt creep issue..? The salt creep builds up in a matter of 2-3 days. I've already raised the water level in the box to be so high, is there really no solution to this??

@mixer911
You could try placing silicone tape (there is no adhesive on this stuff it just sticks to clean surfaces) then trim away anything visible with a razor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back