Overflow Plumbing Question

raylinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out the plumbing for my build. I have a Marineland tank with one corner overflow with two holes drilled in the bottom. I am planning to use a Herbie drain setup with the main and an emergency drains going through the two holes with the return going over the back of the tank. I am using a Trigger system sump that has pipes to attach the drains to. My concern is that these pipes are not in the corner of the sump so the drains cannot go straight down into the sump. They are a good 5" from the drain holes in the tank. By the time I put in couplers and a gate valve for the main drain, the drain will have to make a fairly sharp turn to get to the sump connections.

I was thinking of using two 45 degree elbows with flexible pvc in between. All diagrams I see of overflow plumbing show it going straight into the sump. Will these angles restrict the drain flow enough to be a concern?

Thanks.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you may run into with 90's is increase noise. But a couple 45's are nice and gentle.

I ran a basement setup with the drain lines running 30 feet away from tank with all sorts of corners and probably 45 feet of piping.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back