Overflow/plumbing question

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again. If I can’t get the glass local do you think it would be possible to build a 5 sided acrylic box with holes drilled to attach it to the bullheads and have the overflow that way? I’m up for any other suggestions as well. Thanks to everyone for the help so far.

That would work, it just would not be as clean of an install. Also acrylic has a tendency to warp/bow when it is thin. Poly carbonate would be a better choice I think. It would be worth the effort to me to drive to the nearest glass shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Anotherfatninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price can vary a lot but I would not think it should be more than $50 for both pieces. Last time I bought glass I paid less than $100 for a 2'x4'xx1/2" panel for a tank I was building. My local glass shop is a rip off so I'm sure there are cheaper places.
So the glass guy got back to me with a quote. I didn’t have exact measurement but ask for a quote on a 72” x 5 “ .25 thick glass. They could do it for $25.50 per piece for annealed. How deep does it really need to be? Do I need any gap for silicone or do I need to measure this to be perfectly flush? Thanks again for the help it looks to be coming together.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the glass guy got back to me with a quote. I didn’t have exact measurement but ask for a quote on a 72” x 5 “ .25 thick glass. They could do it for $25.50 per piece for annealed. How deep does it really need to be? Do I need any gap for silicone or do I need to measure this to be perfectly flush? Thanks again for the help it looks to be coming together.
It really doesn't need to be annealed but make sure one edge on the long side of each panel is polished otherwise it will be very sharp.

You will need to measure the inside of the tank side to side and subtract about a 1/8" to give you a little room to fit it in. If you allow a little more no big deal but you don't want a big gap on each side filled with silicone, would not look too good. Both pieces will be the same length. You can make it as deep as you want but at a minimum it has to be below the holes in the tank plus enough room to put in a 90 elbow. The front glass will set on the bottom glass so you will lose 1/4" of depth, allow for this. Really a very simple project.

OP
OP
A

Anotherfatninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really doesn't need to be annealed but make sure one edge on the long side of each panel is polished otherwise it will be very sharp.

You will need to measure the inside of the tank side to side and subtract about a 1/8" to give you a little room to fit it in. If you allow a little more no big deal but you don't want a big gap on each side filled with silicone, would not look too good. Both pieces will be the same length. You can make it as deep as you want but at a minimum it has to be below the holes in the tank plus enough room to put in a 90 elbow. The front glass will set on the bottom glass so you will lose 1/4" of depth, allow for this. Really a very simple project.
Can I achieve full siphone with and upward facing 90? I can turn it down but it's gonna increase my overflow box size a bit. I have about 5" from where the bulkhead plastic begins to the water line just under the rim of the tank. The emergency drain can be raised just above the water line with 1.5" pvc so that's easy. I've read a few threads that had success turning a 90 sideways,but wanna make sure that will work before I get this glass cut. I got a couple of slip fittings 90s to see if it would cut down on size even just a little. I think I can save a little bulk by doing slip inside so I'm gonna order some new bulkheads. Hopefully this will be my last post before I get my glass cut and I can start an actual build thread. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for using your time and knowledge to help a stranger solve a fish tank problem on the internet.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I achieve full siphone with and upward facing 90? I can turn it down but it's gonna increase my overflow box size a bit. I have about 5" from where the bulkhead plastic begins to the water line just under the rim of the tank. The emergency drain can be raised just above the water line with 1.5" pvc so that's easy. I've read a few threads that had success turning a 90 sideways,but wanna make sure that will work before I get this glass cut. I got a couple of slip fittings 90s to see if it would cut down on size even just a little. I think I can save a little bulk by doing slip inside so I'm gonna order some new bulkheads. Hopefully this will be my last post before I get my glass cut and I can start an actual build thread. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for using your time and knowledge to help a stranger solve a fish tank problem on the internet.
A turned up 90 will be just fine.

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A turned up 90 will be just fine.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 90 a Street 90 or 'el' as they are called, has the male part molded in will save some space perhaps. The reason they are seen in a turned downward posistion is they can create a whirlpool effect and if too close to the surface it will suck in air making some noise.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back