Overflow selection and design

Ecotech Marine

jarobrew

View Badges
Reaction score
I am working on a new build and need some more advice, this time on my overflow selection. The aquarium is 30x18x18 (about 40 gal.) and will be placed in a corner in a room, with the front and right side visible and the left side and back against walls. The overflow will be on the left side of the aquarium (more room) and I would like it to be capable of a bean animal design for safety and reliability reasons.

After much reading, I have tentatively selected the Eshopps Prodigy L. I have read that Modular Marine, Exotic Marine and Reef Savvy may be better products but these are generally longer than the 18 inches on the left side of this tank or, in the case of Modular Marine, their website is down and I don’t think I could get their products.

Below is a diagram of the layout. Does this set up make sense? Is the overflow too large? Is there a better overflow to consider? Any comments would be most welcome.

1620766992564.png

Fritz

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Modular Marine always takes a few weeks off twice a year to catch up on orders. The website will most likely be back online in the next few weeks. I believe they make an 800 gph box at 8” and I’m currently using their 1200 gph box at 12”.

Last edited:

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Eshopps would be my LAST choice for the overflow. The outside box sits too low and makes it nearly impossible to get it quiet. My Fiji Cube was a much better design with the outside box sitting higher virtually eliminating the waterfall sound. The most silent I have used was the Exotic Marine overflow. It was also the easiest to tune.

Champion Lighting & Supply
Fritz