Overflow selection and design

jarobrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a new build and need some more advice, this time on my overflow selection. The aquarium is 30x18x18 (about 40 gal.) and will be placed in a corner in a room, with the front and right side visible and the left side and back against walls. The overflow will be on the left side of the aquarium (more room) and I would like it to be capable of a bean animal design for safety and reliability reasons.

After much reading, I have tentatively selected the Eshopps Prodigy L. I have read that Modular Marine, Exotic Marine and Reef Savvy may be better products but these are generally longer than the 18 inches on the left side of this tank or, in the case of Modular Marine, their website is down and I don’t think I could get their products.

Below is a diagram of the layout. Does this set up make sense? Is the overflow too large? Is there a better overflow to consider? Any comments would be most welcome.

1620766992564.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look at Fiji? They appear to be the better mass market overflow to me.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modular Marine always takes a few weeks off twice a year to catch up on orders. The website will most likely be back online in the next few weeks. I believe they make an 800 gph box at 8” and I’m currently using their 1200 gph box at 12”.

Last edited:

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps would be my LAST choice for the overflow. The outside box sits too low and makes it nearly impossible to get it quiet. My Fiji Cube was a much better design with the outside box sitting higher virtually eliminating the waterfall sound. The most silent I have used was the Exotic Marine overflow. It was also the easiest to tune.

ahud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get this setup and running? I'm setting up a 40x18x18 rimless tank identically to yours (on a wall with two sides visible).

Looking for a clean overflow install that I can live with.

OP
OP
J

jarobrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made some progress. The plumbing is complete and the aquarium is operating well in the garage. Planning to move it inside this weekend. Couple of recent photos below. As you will note, much of the plumbing is on the left outside of the tank/stand which will be up against a wall. This way it will be very accessible, is not visible from the back, and saves space inside of the stand. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6121.jpg
    IMG_6121.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6123.jpg
    IMG_6123.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 19

ahud

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for showing me the setup. Looks good! Would love to see it when you get everything in place.

Great idea running it in the garage before bringing it in.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back