Overflow Standpipe Question

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I had an aquarium maintenance person come over to hook up a new sump (Trigger Systems Emerald 26) as it needed some plumbing changes beyond my abilities.
I also had him change/update my corner overflow to a Durso Standpipe.
It’s working fine but a couple things concern me:
My old standpipe (photo attached) had a foam filter which acted as a pre-filter before the water entered the sump. The Durso does not have any sort of filter material.
It also barely fits in that corner opening which is why it sits slightly askew (photo attached). It will also be much harder to clean that area later on.

Would I be better off switching back to my old standpipe? Not sure what it’s called as itt came with the tank when I got it as a freebie a couple of years ago. It has an elliptical cut in the pipe and the top is a float which controls the water level.
Overflow_old.jpg
Overflow_New.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfamiliar with the top picture, but you could use a couple of 45 degree PVC fittings to offset the durso slightly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You would need to stack two of them which effectively offsets the pipe by an inch or so. If you need a bit more offset, then jut put a short piece of pipe between the two fittings.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one is the mega flo. It is adjustable to control the water level in the corner. To clean just push it down. Then raise it back. I don’t have a filter sponge either

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back