Overflow/sump

grude420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I've been a lurker for awhile and just joined up today. I have a unique situation and was wondering if I could ask a couple questions..
I have been in the aquarium game for about a year, but I've always used a freshwater tank with a canister filter. I recently found a deal on facebook marketplace that I couldn't turn down.. so, first thing I had to rent a u-haul van to get the equipment home. I got a 180 gallon tank, a 40 gallon breeder sump and a decent stand to hold it all, and the entire deal only set me back $190.00 (minus the van fee).
This tank is a reef ready tank that has all the holes on the back piece of glass. There are three holes just left of middle for the overflow and two more holes on the far ends of the back for returns. I have been watching many youtube videos and reading a lot on this forum about how to set up the overflow and sump. It's pretty obvious how to do the return, but the overflow has me scratching my head a little bit. I still plan to use this big tank for freshwater, and it is going to be a mega-mansion for my two diamondback terrapin turtles. Being as though the tank is 3 feet tall, I figured that I could keep about 2/3rds of the tank full, and still be able to keep a basking area inside the tank (just a dry landing spot with heat lamp and UVB bulb).
The main question I have, is all the videos and info that I've read shows the siphon system right at where the bulk heads go through the tank. Am I going to run into any issues if I come into the tank from the bulkhead and run PVC downward so that I leave the top 1/3rd or maybe a little less empty? All the systems I've seen come in the bulkhead and do a 90 degree elbow and are cut off right there. Am I going to have issues if I were to run say 6-9" down from the bulkhead? So technically the water would be pulled UP to the bulkhead, then through the glass and down to the sump. I didn't see any examples of that (rightfully so, most times the overflow is set to have a full tank).
Any tips, tricks, or advice and I would be extremely grateful.
Thank you.
Chris
Pine Island, Minnesota

tank.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to work. I have no idea how you would use an overflow and not fill the tank? A siphon wouldn't be created, therefore no way for the water to get "sucked up". Typically overflows use gravity to create a siphon.

OP
OP
G

grude420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to work. I have no idea how you would use an overflow and not fill the tank? A siphon wouldn't be created, therefore no way for the water to get "sucked up". Typically overflows use gravity to create a siphon.

I don't want to fill the tank because turtles need to have a spot to get out of the water completely and sit under a basking light. It's integral for their shells. I have seen several videos of people doing overflows that go over the tank (tanks that aren't drilled) and they work ok. Just trying to figure out a way I can do it with a drilled tank.
Thanks for the response, I'll keep looking. There's gotta be a way to do it.
Chris
Pine Island, Minnesota

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way would probably be to re-drill the holes for the overflow farther down the tank so that the overflow sits at where you want the water level to be. If not that you could remove the overflow box and plumb in a "siphon break proof" set up. I've never done one of those but have seen videos on You Tube showing how.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a thing like this. Yours would just go through a bulkhead instead of over the top.
proxy-image

These work fine as long as you dont try to push a lot of water through it.
There are several videos on youtube on making these and using them.
proxy-image

OP
OP
G

grude420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You make a thing like this. Yours would just go through a bulkhead instead of over the top.
proxy-image

These work fine as long as you dont try to push a lot of water through it.
There are several videos on youtube on making these and using them.
proxy-image

Great information. The same guy that made that video, made and "updated" one with only one pipe going into the tank, with another pipe twice the diameter capped and sitting on the bottom of the tank. It eliminated some of the plumbing inside the tank and seemed to show a higher flow rate. I think I might give it a try:

Chris
Pine Island, Minnesota

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try. The faster you push the water the more likely you will make bubbles and the more likely it will fail.
I used one for years on a small tank at maybe 100 gph. How much flow does a turtle need?

OP
OP
G

grude420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try. The faster you push the water the more likely you will make bubbles and the more likely it will fail.
I used one for years on a small tank at maybe 100 gph. How much flow does a turtle need?

Not a whole lot. The only reason I even thought of doing a sump is because my 407 fluval isn't going to be able to keep up in a 180 gallon tank. Turtles are pretty messy little guys, even if you remove them from the tank for feeding.
Chris
Pine Island, Minnesota

OP
OP
G

grude420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got everything up and running.. If anyone is interested in seeing my setup I made a quick youtube video and posted it here:

I left the top 7" or so out of the tank, and with my custom overflow it is working great. I use a 1020gph return pump and have it wide open without any restrictions on the ball valve. It's probably overkill for a turtle, but the water is clean and cycling just fine. It's a freshwater system, so it's a little different from the tanks you folks use, but I really enjoyed the project and look forward to it lasting for quite a long time!
Chris
Pine Island, Minnesota

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back