Overnight Emergency Battery Heater?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This does not seem that weird, but I am having trouble finding a solution. Suppose the power goes out overnight in Ohio in January. I wake up, and in theory my gyres are running off the battery backup, but the temperature drops precipitously. I want to slow that drop. So, I want to have a heater set to turn on at, say, 76 degrees, hooked up to a battery backup. I don’t care if it only lasts 1 hour. 1 hour slows the fall and probably helps. So, assuming that, what heater-backup combination works best for that?

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the batteries in a heavily insulated box and throw in some heat packs? Just an idea.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t looked into this yet, but I really need to. I live in NY, and the power tends to go out at least once every winter. It’s going to be disastrous if I don’t get a plan in order.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a large UPS or two and plug your heater of choice into them?

The Cyberpower PFC series UPSes are my favorite. They're the cheapest UPSes with pure sine waves that don't catch fire too often. Cheap battery replacements are available on eBay (just buy Power-Sonic equivalents).

Their runtime calculator says the 1500VA model will power a 300W heater for 23 min.

They were on sale for $130 on Amazon last Black Friday. We might not see those prices again (I bought two back then) but there's still a chance of a decent price reduction.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My solution used to be to have pink board foam insulation cut to the size of my tank so that I could insulate the walls. I had it ready made in case I need it. I had some that partially covered the top too. An airstone for airation. It isn't perfect but it's better than nothing and it totally makes a difference.

Now I have a generator. They are not THAT expensive by reef standards. As an added bonus, I can run a small space heater and bring my room temp up if desired.

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator, but it’s portable. The idea is to buy some time while I am asleep and don’t know.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator, but it’s portable. The idea is to buy some time while I am asleep and don’t know.
Might be cheaper in the long run to get a controller (assuming you don't have one) and set up alert message to phone on low temp. The temp isn't going to fall that fast you don't have time to setup your generator.

But any battery (deep cycle) with an inverter on it will work. Pay attention to safety recommendations on battery. Camping/RV supplies have stuff like this in abundance.

UPS isn't going to last long at all with the current draw from a heater...would go 12 v car/marine battery at a minimum.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's really Just to bridge the time while you are asleep, why not have a temperature alarm wake you up

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth...I live in Indiana and have lost power in winter. It still took several hours from temp in my 34 gallon to fall to low 70s (power came back on). And lower temps aren't as immediately dangerous as high. Think you'd have plenty of time to hook up that generator.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions vary, but I slept a LOT easier once my tank was hooked up to a controller. Also, my tank was much more successful. I guess I think even a used controller from your local reef club will give you the alerts you need to get up and fire up that generator-- which will really be the best solution. Yes you can come up with a system of backups to get an hour of aquarium heat, but how much heat does your house lose in the first hour of an outage? It would suck to have it go six hours without power after spending time, money, and effort on a one hour backup.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revised comment: you can buy a power failure alarm on amazon for $14. If you don't have a controller and don't want one, just buy a power failure alarm and turn on the generator!

OP
OP
KenRexford

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a controller: Hydros Control . Alarms don’t wake me. I would need Carlos from CoralVue to actually show up at my house to wake me. He’s very helpful, but not quite that helpful. The major problem I face is that my tank is on the wall between my dining room and the attached garage. That wall is always cold. Although the drop after an overnight power outage is not THAT bad, corals are very delicate.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Insulate the wall on the garage side to help? That seems like an easy start.

Since you’re that close to the garage, I’d think you could have all sorts of batteries/inverters and can do whatever you want

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha if Carlos is anywhere near that helpful, I will be switching to a hydros next time I upgrade!

Totally see what you're saying.

If you go with a traditional battery backup, you will need to back up your return and your heater, or put the heater in your display. If you choose to go this route, a DC return pump will draw less power and therefore give you more time. Alternatively you could put the heater in your display and use the backup to drive a powerhead or airpump.

If you want to go totally nuts, there IS a battery backup that is essentially a Prius battery that they tout as a "green" generator. it was like $2k but supposedly works like a portable generator, but can be placed indoors.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a controller: Hydros Control . Alarms don’t wake me. I would need Carlos from CoralVue to actually show up at my house to wake me. He’s very helpful, but not quite that helpful. The major problem I face is that my tank is on the wall between my dining room and the attached garage. That wall is always cold. Although the drop after an overnight power outage is not THAT bad, corals are very delicate.
Puny little phone alarms aren't the only option. You can get proper sirens and emergency lights.

If an air raid siren and emergency light combo doesn't wake you up, you'll probably have bigger problems than the tank

Heaters drink up battery juice like it's nothing

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back