Overwhelmed newbie intro.

JoshuaC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all. I’m new to the boards and consider myself new to the hobby, though I had a successful, but challenging, 75gal Fowler tank 20 years ago. I got lured back in by the prominence of nano reef tanks. After months of reading I decided to jump back in and bought a Cobalt C-Vue26 AIO. Added an Eshops skimmer and a nice ato. Couple clowns, fire fish and a six line wrasse. Then started down the research rabbit hole of drilling the tank for a sump, refugiums, stands, aquascape (that was a deep hole) and within a month, went big. I’m deeply hooked back into the joy, relaxation of the tiny environment chemisty set so I bought a display model RedSea Reefer 350 90gal system on sale from my LFS. Not the G2 so it has the old diaphragm valve and over ordered the parts to replace the line with a proper gate valve. I went big early and got a Core 20 return pump, the RedSea skimmer, two (for now) ReefLED 50s, two reefwave 25s, a ReefMat (I have to modify the sump so it’s probably going to sit a few weeks while I use the media baskets in the cycle) and a way over my head, Apex3Pro. Spent a ton but I did my homework and my LFS gave me a solid deal. Long intro to say Hello! I’ll have some questions and I have a problem to deal with but wanted to introduce myself first.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard.
I've read that quite a few people still find the down flow on redsea tanks finicky even after installing a gate valve. It's the main reason I haven't swapped. Hopefully you'll have better luck. Mine is a reefer 170 so I not as big but I really like it. The layout and plumbing are much nicer than than I would have been able to do.

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I am in the exact same boat, but I will say this forum is seriously amazing. I can pretty much always get a quick answer whenever it is needed. This Hobby can be overwhelming as hell, especially in the beginning (still going through that) But using this forum make it soooo much easier!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all. I’m new to the boards and consider myself new to the hobby, though I had a successful, but challenging, 75gal Fowler tank 20 years ago. I got lured back in by the prominence of nano reef tanks. After months of reading I decided to jump back in and bought a Cobalt C-Vue26 AIO. Added an Eshops skimmer and a nice ato. Couple clowns, fire fish and a six line wrasse. Then started down the research rabbit hole of drilling the tank for a sump, refugiums, stands, aquascape (that was a deep hole) and within a month, went big. I’m deeply hooked back into the joy, relaxation of the tiny environment chemisty set so I bought a display model RedSea Reefer 350 90gal system on sale from my LFS. Not the G2 so it has the old diaphragm valve and over ordered the parts to replace the line with a proper gate valve. I went big early and got a Core 20 return pump, the RedSea skimmer, two (for now) ReefLED 50s, two reefwave 25s, a ReefMat (I have to modify the sump so it’s probably going to sit a few weeks while I use the media baskets in the cycle) and a way over my head, Apex3Pro. Spent a ton but I did my homework and my LFS gave me a solid deal. Long intro to say Hello! I’ll have some questions and I have a problem to deal with but wanted to introduce myself first.

Welcome! Glad you joined. I'm not native Texan, but since we are neighbors, here is a big Grand Prairie "HOWDY" to you!

Perhaps you'll come out this weekend to the local club's event Saturday in Arlington - free to public, free to be member, and even though it is $25/annual to be Premium member, with 180 foods being given away, odds are high still some available even at noon entry time:

and general Frag Swap this weekend info:

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Last edited:

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you start a build thread!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back