Overwhelming experience.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys.

Im new to the saltwater hobby, and im filling my tank this week.i have the tropic marin salt, and i bought a small scale from bulk reef supply. The part thats confusing me is adding the salt to the tank. Im legit confused on how to do it. The marine x60.2 is 44 gallons with the sump. I was thinking of buying a 44 gallon buce container fill it up, mix the salt in, and pump it to the tank. Now thats where im getting confused. How do i measure the salt on the scale to add it and get the right ppm for the salinity. My brain is not comprehending that part. I get a cup fill it with salt and put it on the scale. Im beyond confused.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys.

Im new to the saltwater hobby, and im filling my tank this week.i have the tropic marin salt, and i bought a small scale from bulk reef supply. The part thats confusing me is adding the salt to the tank. Im legit confused on how to do it. The marine x60.2 is 44 gallons with the sump. I was thinking of buying a 44 gallon buce container fill it up, mix the salt in, and pump it to the tank. Now thats where im getting confused. How do i measure the salt on the scale to add it and get the right ppm for the salinity. My brain is not comprehending that part. I get a cup fill it with salt and put it on the scale. Im beyond confused.
I always just follow the bucket instructions. Been a while since a water change but it's like a cup per 2g or cup per gal? I forget lol, long day. Even then it involves letting it mix and then testing with my refractometer and either adding more salt or water. Once you do it a few times it's no big deal. You can probably find the weight to water ratio on their site.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of cup thats why im confused man
A cup measured in the U.S. A suggestion is that you add where you are from on your moniker. It may determine the advice you receive. We don't know where you are located.

I found it easiest to mix 5 gallons at a time. Start out with the 2.5 cups and then check with your refractometer. You will develop a "feel" for how much is needed once you mix up several buckets.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys.

All good now ? How are you going to mix it I would do it in the brute if you were still thinking about that and it's good to have for a mixing vessel. If you fill your tank empty with r.o and mix salt in using your tank as a mixing vessel thats fine but it's to hard to do with rock and sand in place. Easier to mix it all in the brute and pump it into your tank.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good now ? How are you going to mix it I would do it in the brute if you were still thinking about that and it's good to have for a mixing vessel. If you fill your tank empty with r.o and mix salt in using your tank as a mixing vessel thats fine but it's to hard to do with rock and sand in place. Easier to mix it all in the brute and pump it into your tank.

So my sump is 18.5 gallons, and my display tank is 36 gallons. I have the tropic marin salt, and they saying to use 1/2 cup per gallons.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1.5# per 5 gallons or 1/2 cup per gallon

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sump is 18.5 gallons, and my display tank is 36 gallons. I have the tropic marin salt, and they saying to use 1/2 cup per gallons.
Yeah thats 2.5 for 5gallons, but that will get you very close but you must check salinity 35ppt is my preferred value and about what half a cup per gallon makes

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the flow rate of your RODI you can get pretty accurate with how much water you're making per hour. Get a 32g or larger brute can. Fill up with desired amount of water then salt, and a powerhead in there to do the mixing for you. Give it an hour and test the salinity with a calibrated refractometer.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats not correct?
In Metric . . . . 35 grams of salt for every thousand grams of freshwater
As for not correct, been acheiving 1.025 for over 30 years based on this. Additionally, this will verify:

Salt BrandMixing Recommendation
Instant Ocean1/2 Cup per 1 U.S. Gallon
Red Sea Salt136g per 1 U.S. Gallon
Tropic Marin Classic Salt1/2 Cup per 1 U.S. Gallon
Neomarine Salt Mix134g per 1 U.S. Gallon

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Metric . . . . 35 grams of salt for every thousand grams of freshwater
As for not correct, been acheiving 1.025 for over 30 years based on this. Additionally, this will verify:

Salt BrandMixing Recommendation
Instant Ocean1/2 Cup per 1 U.S. Gallon
Red Sea Salt136g per 1 U.S. Gallon
Tropic Marin Classic Salt1/2 Cup per 1 U.S. Gallon
Neomarine Salt Mix134g per 1 U.S. Gallon
I gave you a hug

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back