Owning operating and starting aquarium stores

ncfishguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what's it like owning an aquarium store ?what are the ups and downs of having your own business . Why don't most last longterm? Do most start from home and slowly open in the city business ? I have a million questions lol just somethin that really interest me

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's burn out city. Having know store owners for 40 years as both a customer and friend it's a hard hard job. You never or rarely get days off and with the internet now everyone wants to get something cheaper than a store owner can buy it for. You really have to love it to do it.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is the hours. You deal with customers all day and then clean tanks all night, do inventory, order new supplies, livestock etc. etc.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering what's it like owning an aquarium store ?what are the ups and downs of having your own business . Why don't most last longterm? Do most start from home and slowly open in the city business ? I have a million questions lol just somethin that really interest me
I've never owned one personally, but have worked at both high volume, and low volume LFS here in southern California where there is a very competitive market. Why don't most last long term? For a few reasons but generally it's like most small business that generally fail in the end. Person has a hobby or something they are into and try to make a biz out of it without a proper business and marketing education.

These people may be good hobbyists but end up being bad business people that make multiple bad decisions. The big one I often see is that they think they will succeed only providing saltwater fish and coral, ignoring freshwater, and being too niche. Beginner hobbyists, most starting with fresh and then moving to salt are the lifeblood of any LFS and will pay the bills but most reefers don't want to be bothered with selling Bettas and 10 gallon starter kits.
Most also have little to no customer service or management experience so they end up providing sub-par customer service and little to no staff with high turnover. Eventually, they run out of money for inventory and get into a vicious cycle of struggling and doing "just enough" to stay afloat.

But all in all, it's a very rough time for small retail stores. The popularity of Amazon and e-commerce sites offering the absolute lowest prices while providing no advice or guidance to the hobbyists has really ruined it. People who are successful in the hobby will stay in the hobby. Amazon does not care if you have a tank crash or have trouble getting your fry to hatch.
The relationship between a hobbyist and his/her LFS can be really fun and awesome but has become a thing of the past with so much info online (some good, lots bad) there's really no need to go get advice from your LFS when you can just Google everything for better or worse.

thelastfrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once owned a small fish store. U better have something people don't have or it's hard to win.
Push your tank service that's where money comes in

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to imagine it is a very hard business. Especially with so many items having MAP prices and being able to purchase stuff online with no sales tax and in many cases free shipping.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.7%
Back