OP
MANDAMARIE

MANDAMARIE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks! Definently trying and wanting to learn!
I would stay away from coral for at least 6 months of the tank running and until you have a deeper understanding of everything. I would ditch the test strips and pick up some liquid test kits like red sea or seachem tests.
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate these 3 will be your first important ones in the first month or so.
You should also get tests for
Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and phosphate.

I would highly recomend watching all the videos of brs 52 weeks of reefing. They are amazing and informative.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks! Definently trying and wanting to learn!
I'm still crazy new myself I jumped in blindly and killed my fair share of fish in the beginning. After a while you get a feel for what's right and wrong. Just a month ago I watched 52 weeks of reefing and I learned a crazy amount of stuff!! Theres things I've been doing wrong for months and this series helped

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow. Don't break your head on all of the possible tests. To start with, I'd go with salifert test kits.
You'll notice I skipped nitrite - intentionally.
I'd start learning them in this order:

Now:
Salinity - get a refractometer. Test it twice a week until you get an automatic top off of some kind.
Ammonia
Nitrate

In a month or two:
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium

Further down the road, you'll want to learn phosphate - when you get there, consider a hanna tester.
Then maybe a ph test, but a controller that monitors in regularly will be better at that point.

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chart of where you want the levels to be depending on tank size and all?
Size doesnt matter too much, most can agree what parameters are acceptable. For example
Nitrate ~5ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Ammonia 0ppm
Phosphate under .05 ppm
Calcium 420ppm
Alk 9dkh
Salinity 1.025

Most test kits will say what's "acceptable" a 100g and a 10g will have basically the same parameters if they have the same goals for the tank. I would order a all in one liquid test kit as soon as you can

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start slow. Don't break your head on all of the possible tests. To start with, I'd go with salifert test kits.
You'll notice I skipped nitrite - intentionally.
I'd start learning them in this order:

Now:
Salinity - get a refractometer. Test it twice a week until you get an automatic top off of some kind.
Ammonia
Nitrate

In a month or two:
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium

Further down the road, you'll want to learn phosphate - when you get there, consider a hanna tester.
Then maybe a ph test, but a controller that monitors in regularly will be better at that point.
It was salifert I meant! Not seachem thank you lol. It was bothering me that i said seachem but i couldnt think of what tests i personally use.

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test water parameter and same has been suggested in this thread by fellow users. Test PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrite level. Could you please picture of your flow? I think its more to do with water chemistry than Oxygen level. Were your clown fish swimming at the surface and making bubbles? If yes, this may indicate low oxygen level.

OP
OP
MANDAMARIE

MANDAMARIE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was salifert I meant! Not seachem thank you lol. It was bothering me that i said seachem but i couldnt think of what tests i personally use.
Any possibility you could attach a picture of which one? Or who to order it from? That's another question? I'm all about helping out and supporting my LFS but who else online could you get things from where I dont have to keep going back and forth?

OP
OP
MANDAMARIE

MANDAMARIE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test water parameter and same has been suggested in this thread by fellow users. Test PH, Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrite level. Could you please picture of your flow? I think its more to do with water chemistry than Oxygen level. Were your clown fish swimming at the surface and making bubbles? If yes, this may indicate low oxygen level.
No they stayed more in the corner or by rocks I would have NEVER knew anything was wrong with him he was all over and eating great the night before.not sure what my flow is

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possibility you could attach a picture of which one? Or who to order it from? That's another question? I'm all about helping out and supporting my LFS but who else online could you get things from where I dont have to keep going back and forth?
I amazon prime everything. This is a good example of a complete test kit. You dont neccesarily need all at once. I'd pick up ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph from the start.

Support local fish stores. They are the bread and butter if the hobby but take their advice lightly.
I give more advice to my lfs than they give to me lol

Screenshot_20190917-224658_Amazon Shopping.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SinkyShippy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite test by far! Hanna checkers. They run a little more than normal tests but they show you the results in numbers and not by guessing colors on a chart

20190917_225322.jpg
I want to get them bad. I really wish they’d come out with a nitrate one.

Back