H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks!

I didn't do a fw dip in my treatment routine. Great info on how effective they are, will definitely add that in next time I treat.

The FW dip only needs to be for 5 mins. Specific instructions can be found here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/

Immediately following the FW dip, transfer the fish into a small tank or bucket predosed with acriflavine. After 90 mins transfer the fish into a QT predosed with CP (temp & SG should match the bath water perfectly). The nice thing about acriflavine is you can go over 90 mins without worrying about the fish - provided you are temp controlling the water & providing plenty of aeration. Back when I used to perform formalin baths on a regular basis, it was a nail-biter as to whether or not the fish would survive longer than 30 mins in that crap. :eek:

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend doing a freshwater bath at this point? I'm on day 7 and all four fish look clear and healthy. I did CP + Prazipro day 1, ruby rally dip for 90 mins on day 4, and am re-dosing prazipro today.

Your articles are such a huge contribution to the community. Thanks again!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend doing a freshwater bath at this point? I'm on day 7 and all four fish look clear and healthy. I did CP + Prazipro day 1, ruby rally dip for 90 mins on day 4, and am re-dosing prazipro today.

Your articles are such a huge contribution to the community. Thanks again!

Nah, by now most of the parasites/worms have already dropped off. You just want to keep the fish in CP to prevent reinfection and do another round of Prazipro one week after the first. Also watch out for any bacterial bloom (cloudy water) when mixing CP + Prazipro. I've lost fish after combining those two chemicals. :(

And thank you for the compliment! :)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video feeding update. Mysis shrimp soaked in Selcon (to boost the immune system.) I like to turn off all the pumps during feeding time. The water has turned cloudy due to all the different medications being mixed together, but its OK because providing maximum gas exchange curtails the impact from a bacterial bloom.

It's Day 6 and I dosed kanamycin (25mg/gal) again for the Yellow Tang's infection. I may need to switch over to nitrofurazone soon if it doesn't completely clear. He isn't eating as well as the other two fish. o_O

Wife has already named these fish: Butter Scotch (YT), Jelly Bean (Clown Tang), Liquorice Stick (Heniochus)

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adorable names! Have you tested ammonia? And do you plan on doing any water changes? BTW fish looking great.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adorable names! Have you tested ammonia? And do you plan on doing any water changes? BTW fish looking great.

No ammonia. See ammonia alert badge at the end of the video. I almost never have to do WCs in QT because a) I use a seeded sponge in the HOB with holds TONS of nitrifying bacteria b) The fish will only be in this treatment tank (exposed to meds) for 10-11 days before being transferred to an observation/conditioning tank. More to come on that later! :D

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update. Following along. I have more questions for when you get to the next step.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, all fish are eating now. Clown Tang & butterfly started yesterday, Yellow Tang started today.

I'm on day 8 of CP treatment. All 4 of my fish look totally clear, but my foxface hasn't started eating yet. I've tried dry, frozen and nori. Any advice?

No ammonia. See ammonia alert badge at the end of the video. I almost never have to do WCs in QT because a) I use a seeded sponge in the HOB with holds TONS of nitrifying bacteria :D

Can you give more details about how you seed? Is this with a bottled bacteria, or do you place the sponge in an existing tank?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on day 8 of CP treatment. All 4 of my fish look totally clear, but my foxface hasn't started eating yet. I've tried dry, frozen and nori. Any advice?

Refresh my memory. Is your foxface a new fish and if so, was he eating when you bought him? Or are you treating all these fish for an active disease (ich/velvet)?

Can you give more details about how you seed? Is this with a bottled bacteria, or do you place the sponge in an existing tank?

I seed all my sponges down in the DT sump for at least 1 month prior to use in QT.

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refresh my memory. Is your foxface a new fish and if so, was he eating when you bought him? Or are you treating all these fish for an active disease (ich/velvet)?

I've had the foxface for about a year, he's good and fat. Treating him for black ich and velvet.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CJBuckeyes It's possible the medication(s) are suppressing his appetite. Have you done two rounds of prazi yet?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you setup a non-medicated holding tank for the foxface? You can pull him on Day 11 of CP treatment, provided the holding tank is at least 10 feet away from both your QTs and the DT.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't have the space for a third tank. Should I just remove all meds from QT on day 11?

No, you can't lower "the shield" i.e. CP for 30 days. However, you can transfer the fish out of QT after just 11 days if you have somewhere else for them to go. Velvet can only remain on a fish for 4 days max, so by transferring you are leaving any unhatched tomonts behind in the orginal treatment tank. And the presence of CP is "the shield" protecting your fish from reinfection. This is not a 100% thing, but it has worked every time I have tried it. And I'm thinking it might work for your foxface since he may need to get out of medicated water in order to eat again.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CJBuckeyes It's possible the medication(s) are suppressing his appetite. Have you done two rounds of prazi yet?

+1

I've treated foxfaces with CP in the past and have observed marked appetite suppression. I would forget about trying to get them to eat nori while in CP - I think it imparts a bitterness that the fish can't tolerate.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've treated foxfaces with CP in the past and have observed marked appetite suppression.

Suppression or not eating at all? Did the foxface make it thru treatment? Wondering whether or not rabbitfish should be added to the "no CP" list, as I have only treated one (but he did fine.)

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suppression or not eating at all? Did the foxface make it thru treatment? Wondering whether or not rabbitfish should be added to the "no CP" list, as I have only treated one (but he did fine.)

Yes, it made it through treatment. It eventually started eating "normal" food (frozen, pellets), but never touched nori while CP was present.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back