OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I better get to cycling a new sponge so it'll be ready. Thank you.

Or pour some Seachem Stability over it. ;) I've successfully seeded QT sponges by switching off the HOB, pouring some "bacteria in a bottle" into the chamber and allowing 2-3 hrs for the bacteria to colonize (the sponge) before turning the pump back on. You might need to do this every day for a few days to help get it going and also do it before you add any medications to the water.

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I did for the QT. I followed the directions using Stability. It works wonders! No ammonia!

P.S. I hope you do another step-by-step thread like this one in the future. [emoji846]

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. I hope you do another step-by-step thread like this one in the future. [emoji846]

I've got all sorts of information/ideas in my head that I'd like to put into a thread. :p It's just finding the time to sit down and write it all out.

What kind of sponge is this?

I personally use these:
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

In this:
lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Very cool. So how do you seed them? Are the somewhere in a refugium?
I've got my HOB picked out for my HT/QT at least. What is the general consensus re: Amquel or Fluval Bio? Is there better?
Oh, maybe there's an article around here somewhere?

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This, although appetite suppression is still very possible with copper. However, we know copper treats velvet. We don't even know for sure what is in NLS Ich Shield. ;) I recommend using a chelated copper product such as Coppersafe or Copper Power. You'll also need an API copper test kit.

I added a small amount of Amquel to the QT yesterday. Planning to dose Coppersafe tomorrow. Running carbon until tomorrow. Do I need to worry about Amquel/Coppersafe interaction, or does the Amquel not hang around?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Very cool. So how do you seed them? Are the somewhere in a refugium?
I've got my HOB picked out for my HT/QT at least. What is the general consensus re: Amquel or Fluval Bio? Is there better?
Oh, maybe there's an article around here somewhere?

I prefer the Aquaclear HOB powerfilter. It comes with a very porous sponge capable of housing tons of nitrifying bacteria. You can buy replacement sponges for cheap, and always keep 1 or 2 down in a high flow area of your sump for seeding purposes. It takes one month minimum to fully seed IME; longer is always better.

I added a small amount of Amquel to the QT yesterday. Planning to dose Coppersafe tomorrow. Running carbon until tomorrow. Do I need to worry about Amquel/Coppersafe interaction, or does the Amquel not hang around?
You NEVER want to mix an ammonia reducer with any medication, especially copper. I'm not entirely sure how long Amquel remains active in the water.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer the Aquaclear HOB powerfilter. It comes with a very porous sponge capable of housing tons of nitrifying bacteria. You can buy replacement sponges for cheap, and always keep 1 or 2 down in a high flow area of your sump for seeding purposes. It takes one month minimum to fully seed IME; longer is always better.

Thanks @Humblefish. Why the Aquaclear, any particular reason? I did find one for my 20g on Amazon and it's only a little less than the Fluval, so that's great. I see the generic foam 12 pack for a mere $9. :cool:

Edit to add: BTW, I went back to the beginning and carefully read every post. I sure missed a lot reading too fast. Now I know better, this forum is not like most forums, there's far more information than I dared expect. I'll be more careful now. :)

Last edited:

TCFletch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i have CopperSafe and Kanaplex running in my QT. Question is; how long is the Kanaplex active during this setup? I want to add Prazipro but not at the same time as Kanaplex. Should I do a water change?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question is; how long is the Kanaplex active during this setup? I want to add Prazipro but not at the same time as Kanaplex. Should I do a water change?

I would yes and run carbon before dosing Prazipro. Prazipro contains Oxybispropanol (ethyl alcohol) and it can be dicey mixing that with other medications.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new and learning lots from this thread. Got a couple of questions regarding QT tanks.

1) When I set it up do I need to use water from my DT or can I simply make some and add it to the QT.

2) What visible health issues should I be observant of when adding two clowns to the QT. I'm aware that I should pay attention to swimming patterns and white spots (ick) when selecting the fish from the LFS. What else?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish How is the Angelfish doing? It's been a week now in observation. Any signs of distress or velvet?

Heniochus (butterfly) is doing very well, eating quite aggressively. He has developed Lymphocystis (very common in Butterflies) so I am waiting for that to clear before rehoming him.

1) When I set it up do I need to use water from my DT or can I simply make some and add it to the QT.

Either way is fine, but only use DT water if you are sure your DT is disease-free.

2) What visible health issues should I be observant of when adding two clowns to the QT. I'm aware that I should pay attention to swimming patterns and white spots (ick) when selecting the fish from the LFS. What else?

With clownfish you always want to keep an eye out for brook: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brooklynella.247938/

These are also key behavioral symptoms of disease you should watch for:

- Reduced or complete loss of appetite
- Heavy breathing
- Rubbing/scratching
- Flashing
- Head twitching
- Erratic swimming behavior

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Humblefish>>. It's been a while. How is Licorice doing? Did the lymps go away? Did he find his forever home?

She's doing great, except for a little lingering Lympho. I've already got a home lined up for her, probably next week. :)

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glad to hear SHE's healthy and going home soon. Hope she'll have brothers and sisters to hang out with. Will you be doing another project like this one? Thank you for the good news.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be doing another project like this one? Thank you for the good news.

I'm always on the lookout for sick fish to treat/save. ;) Business trips are slowing me down right now.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back