Pacific Blue Tang

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I made my decision, I will make a BTA only tank with 2 Clowns and The Angel, a YWG and shrimp pair, nassarius and a handful of Trochus, 6 peppermint shrimp (Lysmata Vittita) with a big cave, urchin, blue licktia and the brittle, and maybe two magnetic rocks for two montiporas and I will include a clam or two if the Lincktia will not eat em
Sounds cool!

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a urchin go out of water for a while? I need to water change and he is at the top and I do not want to touch his delicate spines, I cannot answer right away cuz I need to do stuff but cabln they?
Actually Nvm, he went on my Tunze care magnet and fell off. Hope he is okay but he is up side down

NC122606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw him eatibg on the rocks, he look like he was grazing or full on eating, I cannot tell this stuff but as soon as he saw me, back to the side of the tank
Urchins are algae destroyers! Sorry but I think we completely different timezones. Haha

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they should be fine, some people's do that from time to time.
Okay I am very picky, I look at other reef tanks and then I want whatever is in there but I am stopping watching reefing videos (Unless they are researching or SPS videos) but here is my final final decision of livestocks and if I change just say something like, 'your coral beauty will eat it' but here is my list -
2- Ocellaris Clownfish
1- Coral Beauty Angelfish
1- Green Clown Goby
2- Firefish Gobies
1- Copperband Butterfly (For aptasia purposes)
Inverts-
-Urchin
- 4 Trochus Snails (Have two will get two more)
-Nassarius Snail
- Blue Lincktia and a Brittle Sea Star
- Three Janitor Hermit Crabs (With lots of shells and yes they are called 'Janitor' hermits, greyish in appearance and saw them at my LFS, slowly moving over Zoanthids. )
- Bristle Worms (Everything friendly)
- Two Maxima Clams
- Copepods
- BTA
- Maybe something else but forgotten.
Corals
- All kinds of SPS (Acros, Montiporas, Birds Nest, Entrusting Corals, just a whole variety with macroalgae for nutrient control)
- Couple LPS (Elegance and some brain corals)
Some Softies (Zoanthids and Xenia on an Island, and a Leather)
Lighting- Two Ecotech Radion G5 Blue XR15s
Flow - Maxspect Gyre with one outflow, Sicce Xstream XdC wireless flow thing with cool features and I also what a reliable motor
Rock- Some LR for cycling and now slowly adding Real Reef Rock
Filter - DIY Internal Sump with a polishing pad, chaeto, marinepure cubes, carbon, and a chaetomax grow light and a opposite cycle with the light turning on in the night.
Elements - Jebao DC3 dosing calcium, alk and magnesium, Jebao DC3 (another one) slowly dripping freshwater for auto top off and doing auto water change
Heating- Two ehiem jagar Trutemp (One set lower for backup and some cooking fans controlled by a Inkbird
Protein Skimmer- Will be getting a Reef Octopus classic 90 HOB
Cover- Mesh Screen
Cleaning- Tunze Care Magnet Long and Tropic Marin Pro.
Controller- Seneye Reef
Food- Home made food including Hikari Mysis, plankton with some nori in there and some pellets and flakes. (I am no expert)
There might be more I am forgetting
What I already have -
Pincushion Urchin
Blue Lincktia
Brittle Sea Star
BTA
Aquapro 800 Canister (will be replaced)
Cheap wavemaker (will be replaced)
Both Ocellaris Clowns
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Two Trochus Snails
Nassarius.
Crappy heater and thermometer (Will be replaced)
4 Bulb T5 Lighting (Will be replaced)
That is everything I am getting and brown poop starting appearing in the tank, is this the angelfish?

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I am very picky, I look at other reef tanks and then I want whatever is in there but I am stopping watching reefing videos (Unless they are researching or SPS videos) but here is my final final decision of livestocks and if I change just say something like, 'your coral beauty will eat it' but here is my list -
2- Ocellaris Clownfish
1- Green Clown Goby
2- Firefish Gobies
Inverts-
-Urchin
-Nassarius Snail
- Three Janitor Hermit Crabs (With lots of shells and yes they are called 'Janitor' hermits, greyish in appearance and saw them at my LFS, slowly moving over Zoanthids. )
- Two Maxima Clams
- Copepods
- BTA
Corals
- All kinds of SPS (Acros, Montiporas, Birds Nest, Entrusting Corals, just a whole variety with macroalgae for nutrient control)
Flow - Maxspect Gyre with one outflow, Sicce Xstream XdC wireless flow thing with cool features and I also what a reliable motor
Filter - DIY Internal Sump with a polishing pad, chaeto, marinepure cubes, carbon, and a chaetomax grow light and a opposite cycle with the light turning on in the night.
Elements - Jebao DC3 dosing calcium, alk and magnesium, Jebao DC3 (another one) slowly dripping freshwater for auto top off and doing auto water change
Heating- Two ehiem jagar Trutemp (One set lower for backup and some cooking fans controlled by a Inkbird
Cover- Mesh Screen
Controller- Seneye Reef
Food- Home made food including Hikari Mysis, plankton with some nori in there and some pellets and flakes. (I am no expert)
What I already have -
Pincushion Urchin
Blue Lincktia
Brittle Sea Star
BTA
Both Ocellaris Clowns
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Two Trochus Snails
Nassarius.
That is everything I am getting and brown poop starting appearing in the tank, is this the angelfish?

Attachments

• VIDEO0004.mp4
    22.2 MB
OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2- Ocellaris Clownfish
1- Green Clown Goby
2- Firefish Gobies
Inverts-
-Urchin
-Nassarius Snail
- Two Maxima Clams
- Copepods
- BTA
Corals
Cover- Mesh Screen
Controller- Seneye Reef
What I already have -
Pincushion Urchin
Blue Lincktia
Brittle Sea Star
BTA
Both Ocellaris Clowns
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Two Trochus Snails
Nassarius.
Forgotten-
Skunk Cleaner
Blood Shrimp

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this still for a 40 gallon tank? That is a *lot* of fish for a tank that size.

Also, I cannot imagine a copper banded butterfly doing well in such a small tank.

Many people will say that one of your firefish will kill the other. Occasionally people find mated pairs and they do okay together. Otherwise, one will die. I've never kept them but just read every thread here about keeping more than one firefish together ;) . Sooner or later one kills the other.

If you took out the copper banded butterfly and one of the firefish then I guess your list is ok. I know people do occasionally keep coral beauties at least temporarily in that size tank. I wouldn't, but I can't say it isn't done.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgotten-
Skunk Cleaner
Blood Shrimp
I found all the SPS I want-
Seriatopora,montipora, stylopora, birds nest and pacilliopora and I will dose acropower, potassium, boron and iron.
Is this still for a 40 gallon tank? That is a *lot* of fish for a tank that size.

Also, I cannot imagine a copper banded butterfly doing well in such a small tank.

Many people will say that one of your firefish will kill the other. Occasionally people find mated pairs and they do okay together. Otherwise, one will die. I've never kept them but just read every thread here about keeping more than one firefish together ;) . Sooner or later one kills the other.

If you took out the copper banded butterfly and one of the firefish then I guess your list is ok. I know people do occasionally keep coral beauties at least temporarily in that size tank. I wouldn't, but I can't say it isn't done.
Taking out the Copperband and firefish is fine, and my LFS have said that I can keep a Coral Beauty in a 40

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back