Pacific Blue Tang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, does anyone know if I can temporary keep a Pacific Blue Tang in a 40 gallon tank for a year since they are slow growers and I really want a blue tang. Will this pose any problems with the health of my tank?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I have seen it in many threads and my LFS said so to, I will take this into consideration.
Mine went from 2 inch to 7-8 inches in about 8 months.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lolol just read pacific blue tang. Sorry, haven’t been sleeping good lately. Yeah those do grow slower than other tangs like zebrasoma. A year seems like a stretch but maybe. What else would be in the tank. It’s not ideal conditions that’s for sure. They like to be able to swim straight for awhile before having to turn around.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lolol just read pacific blue tang. Sorry, haven’t been sleeping good lately. Yeah those do grow slower than other tangs like zebrasoma. A year seems like a stretch but maybe. What else would be in the tank. It’s not ideal conditions that’s for sure. They like to be able to swim straight for awhile before having to turn around.
I plan to have 2 ocellaris clownfish, scooter blenny, Royal gramma and 2 firefish gobies. Are we doing inverts to?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to have 2 ocellaris clownfish, scooter blenny, Royal gramma and 2 firefish gobies. Are we doing inverts to?
It’s possible if you get a very small one but I would hold off until you know for certain you will be upgrading to something 6ft or longer.

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will be able to keep a small Atlantic for quit a while before he out grows a 40. I had mine in my 40 for about 18 months and he was still fine. I did upgrade to a 180 and hes in there now, but you are good to go for a long stretch. Just my opinion.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will be able to keep a small Atlantic for quit a while before he out grows a 40. I had mine in my 40 for about 18 months and he was still fine. I did upgrade to a 180 and hes in there now, but you are good to go for a long stretch. Just my opinion.
Thank you so much! Does this count to a pacfic blue tang as well?

Joeype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those grow bigger much faster. So depends how long you go before updating your tank. But if small enough you will also have some time.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those grow bigger much faster. So depends how long you go before updating your tank. But if small enough you will also have some time.
I was planning to get a juvenile or baby and keep it for a year so I do not get to attached to it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back