Pack it as full as you can get it!

Are you selective when adding coral or do you pack the tank as full as you can get it?

• Selective

Votes: 347 73.2%
  • Pack It Full

Votes: 127 26.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you like the idea of packing your reef aquarium as full of coral as you can get it?

I mean it's tempting to get as many frags and colonies as you can possibly afford because there are so many colors and variations! But when is it too much? Should you be selective and plan for future growth?

In the beginning of my saltwater reef aquarium journey I was constantly on the lookout getting as many corals as I could and packing the tank as full as I could get it. Now for me it's more about what I REALLY like and thinking about the future growth of all the corals.

That being said anyone have frags for sale? :p

My old 120g didn't have much room for more coral!
ftsjuly08.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, I packed it full one time, like 3 months ago. I'm in to carnation corals(dendronephthya) I picked up I believe 12 colonies and within a few days it was survival of the fittest they were falling like flies one by one never seen that before and most the same species. But I've never had colonies so close together so that was new to me

I'm selective now.

Screenshot_2019-04-10-19-58-06-1.png

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my early days I wanted every type there was. On my most recent tank I actually drew up plans for the rockwork and then labeled the rock with the coral I wanted and space for the coral to grow. It's been over a year and I've pretty much stuck with the original drawn up plans and am happier with this tank than any one I've had in the last 10 years.

U

User1

View Badges
Your reef club is full of morons then! I'll take whatever trimmings you want to give ;)

I'm with you. I honestly believe this hobby disgards a lot more than what we all care to tell. No judgements - just saying sometimes it is easier to treat it like a grass or flower trimming than the time needed to properly pack up, carry, and give or ship to other hobbyists.

Not calling anyone a moron here. It is something that does cross my mind from time to time.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you. I honestly believe this hobby disgards a lot more than what we all care to tell. No judgements - just saying sometimes it is easier to treat it like a grass or flower trimming than the time needed to properly pack up, carry, and give or ship to other hobbyists.

Not calling anyone a moron here. It is something that does cross my mind from time to time.
I wouldn’t say morons but it did strike me as strange. I’m not a big local club member so no one knows me but I posted pics of several 2-3 inch multi branch forest fire digi’s for $15 each. Think I paid $50 for a 1 inch drag. Posted twice and no one jumped so I took them to the LFS. Weird.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Im with you not that I have a packed trimmable tank yet but I also garden every summer to pack the freezer and shelves with fresh veggies. Trying giving food away!!! They want you to grow it, pick it, wash it and then deliver it to them. Then they will oblige and take your generous offer.
If someone offered up, I would be there getting my elbows and armpits wet

clown and friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t say morons but it did strike me as strange. I’m not a big local club member so no one knows me but I posted pics of several 2-3 inch multi branch forest fire digi’s for $15 each. Think I paid $50 for a 1 inch drag. Posted twice and no one jumped so I took them to the LFS. Weird.
Morons probably wasn’t the right word, just surprised me people weren’t all over that. Can I ask what you grow that beautiful tank under light wise?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you like the idea of packing your reef aquarium as full of coral as you can get it?

I mean it's tempting to get as many frags and colonies as you can possibly afford because there are so many colors and variations! But when is it too much? Should you be selective and plan for future growth?

In the beginning of my saltwater reef aquarium journey I was constantly on the lookout getting as many corals as I could and packing the tank as full as I could get it. Now for me it's more about what I REALLY like and thinking about the future growth of all the corals.

That being said anyone have frags for sale? :p

My old 120g didn't have much room for more coral!
ftsjuly08.jpg
Someone is addicted to acan$....

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back