Painfully slow acro growth

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just gotta bear with them. Acros vary wildly in growth rates based on a number of factors from flow, light, nutrients, species, morph, and a hundred more factors I'm forgetting. I run crazy high flow in my tank, so mine encrusted like mad until they are anchored well enough to take off.

Once they hit that sweet spot, believe me; They'll take off.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some acros like "Walt Disney" are super slow growers. As in years for meaningful growth, in most cases. Eventually they get big all on their own. If you are looking to grow them out quickly to sell frags, then a specialized frag tank with proper lighting, flow, and dosing equipment can make them grow a little faster.

Also, for established (6 months or more and encrusting), stubborn frags, nipping the tips (1/4") off will usually stimulate growth. I don't suggest cutting new frags though. The Disney on the left is 2 years old, the acro on the right is one year old.
PSX_20230429_201040.jpg
I found the opposite.
I think every system is different and that differance depicts how each individual acro will do.

One year growth on my disney.
March 22/ March 23

20220309_153201.jpg 20230320_161736.jpg

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience Grasshopper... I purchased my TGC Redwing as an encrusted "cookie" There was no vertical branches yet, just the top of the frag plug completely encrusted. It stayed that way with great color and PE but zero growth for three years. I had pretty much decided it wasn't ever going to do much, then suddenly it started branching and growing like crazy. It's now one of my faster growing pieces.

TGC Redwing.jpg
Noice! I have a PC Rainbow that became a good size colony and I’ve even fragged it for a friend. The PC Superman encrusted for a year now and finally seeing some tiny nubs! No wonder why some of these are expensive - takes an eternity! lol

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok maybe i was checking an older build thread in your signature? I saw an xr30 with 2 small bars
Oh got it. That’s my second tank - 2 XR15 G5 Pro with ReefBrites. Mounting is easy with brackets. My main tank got 2 x XR30 G6 Blues.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I’m going thru a stagnant state due to low pH? I noticed that my Green Slimer (normally a fast grower) is taking a vacation and chilling out, not sprouting new growth.

My ceiling pH was 8.09 and now 8.18 is the floor after replacing the CO2 scrubber media last night. Will see how things go though. Also, I’ve been slowly cranking up Alk from 8.5ish to 9ish. It won’t affect the stubborn slow growers but should help the rest….

Attachments

• IMG_4574.png
    IMG_4574.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 29

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps I’m going thru a stagnant state due to low pH? I noticed that my Green Slimer (normally a fast grower) is taking a vacation and chilling out, not sprouting new growth.

My ceiling pH was 8.09 and now 8.18 is the floor after replacing the CO2 scrubber media last night. Will see how things go though. Also, I’ve been slowly cranking up Alk from 8.5ish to 9ish. It won’t affect the stubborn slow growers but should help the rest….
What do you dose for alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, And how much daily?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think some just need time. I have 8.4 pH 8.5 alk, 400+ par everywhere and I've had some grow 3 inches in a month and I've had others that have not moved in close to a year :) despite being close in proximity

Last edited:
OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some just need time. I had 8.4 pH 8.5 alk, 400+ par everywhere and I've had some grow 3 inches in a month and I've had others that have not moved in close to a year :) despite being close in proximity
Curious - 8.4 pH all the time or peak? Assume you use soda ash + kalk for your massive tank? Otherwise, you'll be going thru pounds of CO2 scrubber media...

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience Grasshopper... I purchased my TGC Redwing as an encrusted "cookie" There was no vertical branches yet, just the top of the frag plug completely encrusted. It stayed that way with great color and PE but zero growth for three years. I had pretty much decided it wasn't ever going to do much, then suddenly it started branching and growing like crazy. It's now one of my faster growing pieces.

TGC Redwing.jpg
Also, that's one very nice acro - amazing shot! I don't think that I have patience after 2 years, let alone 3 years!!! You got dedication, sir! I would have tossed that frag and moved on...lol

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - 8.4 pH all the time or peak? Assume you use soda ash + kalk for your massive tank? Otherwise, you'll be going thru pounds of CO2 scrubber media...
My lower end is 8.3 and I peak about 8.45. my average is pretty close to 8.4 and I don't use any pH boosting or scrubbing! I dose baking soda for all specifically so I don't boost my pH any higher than it already is

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back