Paint dripped into Tank!

Ytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wanted to paint my office. I keep my tank in my office. I told her to not paint above the fish tank to avoid it dripping and that I would cover that area when I got home. She calls me at work today saying that she dripped paint inside the tank!
I have 180 gallon mixed reef tank and a 20 gallon frag tank attached to the main system. She said the paint dripped into the Frag tank. She called me and within five minutes she turned off the pump to the Frag tank so that it was not mixing as much in to main system but I’m sure some of it still got into the main display.
I plan to change the water and the 20 gallon tank tonight 100%. Any other suggestions on what I should do?

Last edited:

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a drip or two? Run some carbon, maybe do a 20% water change, and forget about it.

Although not really suggested, modern house paints are (relatively) safe to eat. Remember good old lead paint? That's why they made it as safe as they could.

If she had dumped the gallon can in, then I'd be worried. Not so much about the tank - more about hero_O

OP
OP
Ytang

Ytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a drip or two? Run some carbon, maybe do a 20% water change, and forget about it.

Although not really suggested, modern house paints are (relatively) safe to eat. Remember good old lead paint? That's why they made it as safe as they could.

If she had dumped the gallon can in, then I'd be worried. Not so much about the tank - more about hero_O
Yes, she said it was just 1 drip and it dissolved as soon as it hit the water

OP
OP
Ytang

Ytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all makes me feel better. I initially thought everything was going to be dead by tomorrow.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous responses. If you can add some aeration/flow during the run of extra carbon that will also help.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It should be fine - I personally would look for any signs of distress in the tank when you get home - if none - add a standard dose of carbon - and forgo the water change - adding a large amount of carbon can cause more problems than a drop of paint.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just changed 25 gallons of water(all the RODI I had) and started running some carbon. I hope everything turns out okay. Thanks for all of you guys help!
Keep us posted. I hope everything turns out ok

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back