Paint toxins

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if I need to be concerned about painting the bathroom wall that are currently Pine tongue & groove. I will use a sealer/block paint on first coat ( see picture below), then a typical anti-mold paint for second coat. The bathroom is 15 feet away from reef tank refugium and skimmer. I can vent the bathroom and shut the door , but obviously some will escape. Opinions wanted with possible options, remedies, etc.

1609096476847.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest you 1. contact the manufacturer. 2. Even if the manufacturer says 'its ok' - just ventilate the room(s) carefully (i.e. open windows, doors, fans, etc). For example I was going to paint my area with the fish - but decided to wait until I could leave all the windows, doors open - just in case. That said - I do not think (heresy alert) - that paint fumes have that much effect - with a skimmer thats off, no air stones, etc. If you consider the amount of 'carbon' which I think is the concern - that would be absorbed into a 100 gallon tank - it is minuscule - with good ventilation.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BirdGuy21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We painted several rooms on the second floor this past spring. While the tank is in the basement, I cleaned all the brushes and prepped in the laundry sink about the same distance away, 15 feet, downstairs. We used the Behr paint, could barely smell it even while painting.

OP
OP
acer

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks ... appreciate the input. I do know of somebody that lost everything in their tanks from resurfacing hardwood floors, but i guess that is much more potent toxins that two ciats of paint in a small room.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back