Painting live rock

StephyBubblez513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am fairly new to the aquatic Hobby and I bought a fish tank and it came with live rock which I know that live rock does not go well with freshwater fish because it basically eats the good bacteria messing up the cycling. My question is is there anyone that has knows a lot about live rock and can you clear coat the live rock so it will keep it from filtering out the bacteria in my aquarium. I have Googled and I can't seem to find a straight answer if you're able to safely clear coat it and put it in a tank

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't say I've ever heard of saltwater live rock negatively affecting the beneficial bacteria in freshwater. If there's a lot of stuff on the rock like sponges and tunicates adding it to a freshwter system without thourogh clraning will cause a lot of ammonia as the animals die and decay which would be a good thing. As far as establishing nitryfying bacteria in freshawter with calcium carbaonte substrates there isn't going to be any issue. However any calcium carbonbate rock will tend to push the pH up which may be fine for african cichlids but not so good for a lot of other freshwater animals. As far as sealing carbonate rocsk to stop dissolution it seems to me it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to buy apropriate rock for your system.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

StephyBubblez513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have angel fish, guppies, platies, and danios in my aquarium which don't require a high pH like African cichlids. The reason why I don't want to buy new live rock is because I was trying to repurpose the rock that I have because it's so beautiful and I don't want to waste it. So the question is would I be able to safely apply clear coat to those live rocks and use it in that aquarium with those fish I listed?

Upvote 0

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have angel fish, guppies, platies, and danios in my aquarium which don't require a high pH like African cichlids. The reason why I don't want to buy new live rock is because I was trying to repurpose the rock that I have because it's so beautiful and I don't want to waste it. So the question is would I be able to safely apply clear coat to those live rocks and use it in that aquarium with those fish I listed?
I would never do such a thing. Who knows that chemicals would leach out and if it would even accomplish the intended purpose.

Sell the live rock and get the right rock for the fresh water tank if your worried.

Upvote 0

vaguelyreeflike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There would be no way to actually clearcoat it unless you filled up a giant bucket of tank safe epoxy and soaked the entire thing, turning it to get out the air bubbles. Live rock is like lava rock where its filled with microscopic holes. If you want to add it to your tank, break it down into very small pieces and add a few tiny pieces in comparison to your total tank, or add the whole piece but monitor your pH very well. I would soak it in freshwater first though for atleast a few weeks with water changes every few days to clean it of any salt/excess ammonia causing organisms that may be dead and dried to the rock.

if it begins to raise pH, you could play chemist and add some peat moss or aqua soil to naturally lower pH, and find the balance. If you keep up with weekly waterchanges though your pH shouldnt skyrocket too quickly unless your source water is very acidic

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never do such a thing. Who knows that chemicals would leach out and if it would even accomplish the intended purpose.

Sell the live rock and get the right rock for the fresh water tank if your worried.
These rocks are like gold these days .

$10 per pound is under priced imo

Upvote 0

FurrierTransform

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To amplify on @vaguelyreeflike, the benefit of live rock comes from the high surface area or porosity. The high surface area gives the beneficial bacteria its habitat. Coating it removes that most important feature. I must say, it's an interesting idea and you should be commended for asking.

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To amplify on @vaguelyreeflike, the benefit of live rock comes from the high surface area or porosity. The high surface area gives the beneficial bacteria its habitat. Coating it removes that most important feature. I must say, it's an interesting idea and you should be commended for asking.
I agree it’s a Great idea
Imagine buying live rock that’s been painted with clear coat …..

I’d sell it to someone local looking for established live rock .
take the money and buy something mlrw
Suited for the application it’s being used for

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10 per pound is under priced imo
Heh, my LFS has cured rock in their system, they have so much of it that they're selling it on the loooow. $2.85/lb for grey stuff, $5.00/lb for purple stuff. 2 huge vats in the back of the store... I am always in there looking for new/unique pieces :-D

Upvote 0

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh, my LFS has cured rock in their system, they have so much of it that they're selling it on the loooow. $2.85/lb for grey stuff, $5.00/lb for purple stuff. 2 huge vats in the back of the store... I am always in there looking for new/unique pieces :-D
I do the same. .
Look through the vat for large odd shapes pieces. .
The last was 35 lbs . At $9.99/ lb
It wasn’t even live . Just wet rocks sold as live

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back