pale tri colour nem

nolifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I've purchased a tri colour anemone about 2 months ago, was doing fine until I change my salt brand over from coral pro salt to D+Dpro as I could never stable the alk. I just let the tanks alk drop to around the new brand of salt mix. I have a small tank reefer 170. I don't dos much only 1ml alk per day and tank stables out at 9-9.2 ca is around 450-430 mg is 1350-1340 ish. The nem was up on the highest rock for ages but moved one morning and has looked a bit on the pale side and don't really open up much my lights where on 70% radion (lps/softies profile) but have since change it about to 58% A+B. Now the nem is not white as there is colour there but looks pale. I've been trying to remove some nitrate which has cause a few problems for me with killing some sps I had so I've been dosing nopox to bring my levels down but doing so has removed my phosphate which is fine because after a few weeks my nitrate will drop. I did this before on another build and worked well without killing anything. I feed the nem maybe about once every 3 weeks or less. And I feed the tank 3x per day with pellets when I'm at work and mysis when I'm home. I've never had a problem before when keeping mags. Could it be that the light was too high, and this has been the problem? or would it be from the alk drop which has stressed it out? I don't think the nitrate is the problem only to my sps corals I keep sure having no po4 maybe but never had this problem before and I had a few back then which where all fine.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I've purchased a tri colour anemone about 2 months ago, was doing fine until I change my salt brand over from coral pro salt to D+Dpro as I could never stable the alk. I just let the tanks alk drop to around the new brand of salt mix. I have a small tank reefer 170. I don't dos much only 1ml alk per day and tank stables out at 9-9.2 ca is around 450-430 mg is 1350-1340 ish. The nem was up on the highest rock for ages but moved one morning and has looked a bit on the pale side and don't really open up much my lights where on 70% radion (lps/softies profile) but have since change it about to 58% A+B. Now the nem is not white as there is colour there but looks pale. I've been trying to remove some nitrate which has cause a few problems for me with killing some sps I had so I've been dosing nopox to bring my levels down but doing so has removed my phosphate which is fine because after a few weeks my nitrate will drop. I did this before on another build and worked well without killing anything. I feed the nem maybe about once every 3 weeks or less. And I feed the tank 3x per day with pellets when I'm at work and mysis when I'm home. I've never had a problem before when keeping mags. Could it be that the light was too high, and this has been the problem? or would it be from the alk drop which has stressed it out? I don't think the nitrate is the problem only to my sps corals I keep sure having no po4 maybe but never had this problem before and I had a few back then which where all fine.

How old is the tank and what are the current parameters?

It sounds like a few changes were made so it's hard to nail down which one is causing the issue. I am unfamiliar with that salt, but I don't think it is causing the issue. The change in alkalinity could have caused it to move. I have read a few threads lately where low nutrients (and or carbon dosing) seem to be causing issues with anemones. The change in lighting could have also caused some changes, but I would find a setting you like and leave it be so the anemone and adapt to it.

I would up also feeding to once a week if po4 is undetectable.

OP
OP
nolifer

nolifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank and what are the current parameters?

It sounds like a few changes were made so it's hard to nail down which one is causing the issue. I am unfamiliar with that salt, but I don't think it is causing the issue. The change in alkalinity could have caused it to move. I have read a few threads lately where low nutrients (and or carbon dosing) seem to be causing issues with anemones. The change in lighting could have also caused some changes, but I would find a setting you like and leave it be so the anemone and adapt to it.

I would up also feeding to once a week if po4 is undetectable.
Tank is just under one year old so still young levels in the tank are
Sa 1.025
Alk 9
Ca 430
Mg 1330
Po4 0
No3 is about 24-25
Dosing 4ml of nopox per day had not milky look or any problems with this dosage other than it stripping my Po4. But had a small feeling this was going to happen any ways I changed the light settings last week after seeing the change in the nem. If this is a problem with the carbon dosing what did people do to help? As I can't stop dosing atm ?

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would up the feedings and if that doesn't help you may want to look into other ways to reduce nitrate without bottoming out p04.

OP
OP
nolifer

nolifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would up the feedings and if that doesn't help you may want to look into other ways to reduce nitrate without bottoming out p04.
Thanks for the advice

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back