Palytoxin exposure?

Mkvc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My zebra moray knocked a rock out of place in my 150g. I'm pretty sleep deprived so without thinking about it I stuck my hand in there to fix it and promptly got bit by my puffer. He drew blood. Shortly afterwards, I accidentally drank some tank water.

The only thing living on the rock that got displaced was my bubble tip anemone. I'm more concerned that the same puffer ate two small small zoa frags (only 4 heads ea) somewhere between last night and this morning.

So my question - how does palytoxin poisoning work? Would the zoas have used it to defend themselves? Would it still be in the water? Could I get it from ingestion or the bite?

With how little exposure I had, I'm probably being paranoid (I'm 8mo pregnant atm), but I don't wanna take any chances...

Thanks a ton for your input!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the toxin were anywhere, it would be in the mouth of that puffer. You’d likely feel a numbness or tingling at the bite location. I’d be more concerned with palytoxin entering your bloodstream via a bite vs. ingestion of a very diluted concentration which would contact strong digestive acids. I’d just drink a bunch of water and keep that wound clean. If you notice a change for the worse in the wound or how you feel, go to the hospital.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin could be in all of those places you mentioned (in water, on the puffer mouth, etc.) so its a question of "how much". Generally zoas have less than palys and reaction range from just skin react to respitory/digestive complications.

In all honesty tho i think unless there are medical experts here on this forum, most of us hobbyists get our information just by googling. If you are really concerned please talk to your doctor - esp if you have any symptoms/negative reactions either on your skin wound or start to feel unwell.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take care of yourself and let the tank be. Congratulations! :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.5%
Back