Palytoxin Question

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're fragging, and you get paly juice on your hands, is washing them right away good enough or is there something else that needs done?
I did my first frag attempt. Oh joy. I think I hate it.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wear gloves! just to be on the safe side when fragging zoas and palys. Technically you would have to have a small cut or open wound on your hand, but yeah....

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I did, when I was actually cutting. But stupid that I am, I picked the frag up out of the bowl of water I'd put it in sans gloves! Doh! It was like nightcrawler slime when you bait them onto the hook!

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AND I think I killed my favorite mushroom. I wanted it out of the 90 into the 135 but didnt want the whole rock . Tried to cut it. NO way! It's kinda raggedy now.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U should wear a mask and eye protection too. Paly toxin can make u really sick. The shroom will prolly heal though.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wore goggles. I think a mask would be nice! Cutting into the rock was so dusty. Feeling kinda lightheaded after all that dust. And stress! Hope you're right about the shroom--I hurt it pretty bad :(

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cut the back some times i've mangled them pretty good. Now I got little babies from the little pieces of tissue that floated away.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Reefer5060

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is one of the most complex non peptide toxins known to man it's really fascinating stuff! That's why some colleagues and I are doing research on it. Long story short it works by disruptin ion concentrations in the cell. The lethal dose is very small but hard to come across a lethal dose with out ingesting it, just my option but be very very careful when fragging or handling zoas and palys... Just my two cents

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've told this story before. But one evening I was moving things around in the tank. I kept messin' with this large probably close to 200 paly rock. I guess I messed with it too much. That night I got real sick. Couldn't stop coughing, shivering like crazy. I felt really bad. The next morning, I woke up feeling much better but all my sps was dead and so was my yellow tang.

My only guess was the Palys was releasing toxins in the tank.

Steve

OP
OP
TinaFoster

TinaFoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have told it before, Steve, but that's the first time I've seen it so thanks for sharing again. Makes me want to throw the palys out! Dangerous stuff to be having around. Glad it turned out ok for you, but sorry about the tang and sps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back