Palytoxin

WhiteAlba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon All

I have always kept far away from zoas because off the risk of palytoxin, but am really wanting to change my thoughts about zoas. What is everyone's thoughts about the topic and what everyone does to protect themselves?

Thanks All

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome to R2R!

Second, Palytoxin fears are largely overblown. There are a few important factors worthy of discussion. The credible cases of human palytoxin damage are few and far between. Then these cases generally are the results of extraordinary circumstances, for instance a person who worked in commercial scale coral fragging and spent a day without gloves fragging palythoa, with open cuts on their hand, was hospitalized. Then the more common one is someone cleaning rocks of palythoa, either by boiling or vigorous scrubbing which is claimed to aresolize the toxin. to my knowledge, there is very little credibility to zoanthids and palythoa being dangerous under normal tank conditions. Some basic precautions should be taken when fragging, or when removing palythoa/zoanthids from the tank. Gloves should be used when fragging, (though I often don't when fragging them in tank) When removing them from tank it can be advisable to wear safety glasses or a face shield as they can sometimes squirt liquid from their body, and it is claimed that this can result in palytoxin in the eyes or mouth which may be dangerous. A basic awareness of palytoxin and a small amount of caution when handling zoanthids/palythoa and it is perfectly approachable family of corals and an excellent addition to most tanks. Thousands of reef keepers handle these corals every day without incident. I have decent sized colonies, of green palythoa and red zoanthids, in my tank, and almost every one of my reef keeping friends keep them in their tanks. Unless you are doing something unusual like boiling your rocks to get rid of them or fragging large quantities without proper PPE then there is little danger.

OP
OP
WhiteAlba

WhiteAlba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome to R2R!

Second, Palytoxin fears are largely overblown. There are a few important factors worthy of discussion. The credible cases of human palytoxin damage are few and far between. Then these cases generally are the results of extraordinary circumstances, for instance a person who worked in commercial scale coral fragging and spent a day without gloves fragging palythoa, with open cuts on their hand, was hospitalized. Then the more common one is someone cleaning rocks of palythoa, either by boiling or vigorous scrubbing which is claimed to aresolize the toxin. to my knowledge, there is very little credibility to zoanthids and palythoa being dangerous under normal tank conditions. Some basic precautions should be taken when fragging, or when removing palythoa/zoanthids from the tank. Gloves should be used when fragging, (though I often don't when fragging them in tank) When removing them from tank it can be advisable to wear safety glasses or a face shield as they can sometimes squirt liquid from their body, and it is claimed that this can result in palytoxin in the eyes or mouth which may be dangerous. A basic awareness of palytoxin and a small amount of caution when handling zoanthids/palythoa and it is perfectly approachable family of corals and an excellent addition to most tanks. Thousands of reef keepers handle these corals every day without incident. I have decent sized colonies, of green palythoa and red zoanthids, in my tank, and almost every one of my reef keeping friends keep them in their tanks. Unless you are doing something unusual like boiling your rocks to get rid of them or fragging large quantities without proper PPE then there is little danger.

Thank you very much for your reply, I have had a tank now for 3 years and it has certainly always been a fear off mine to own zoas. I think its time to just take the dive an enjoy there beauty.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome to R2R!

This. Lol
Wear gloves and safety glasses while fragging and you’ll be fine. Don’t go around licking them lol

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Lol
Wear gloves and safety glasses while fragging and you’ll be fine. Don’t go around licking them lol
Uh oh.
1583848914743.png

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll jump on the +1 bandwagon that basic precautions and some common sense are all you need.

I just removed a few palys from a rock on the weekend, and I'm still alive to talk about it. I carefully scraped them off the rock with a scalpel while wearing long sleeves, some nitrile gloves, safety glasses and a bandana over my nose and mouth. When I was done, I soaked the tools in a cup with weak cold water and bleach solution. The leftover paly bits got washed down the kitchen sink with cold water and I wiped down the sink and the plastic mat I was working on with the same bleach solution.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Lol
Came here to say this. Just a few easy and simple precautions can go a really long ways in protecting yourself. I never frag zoas or palys without eye wear and gloves, no issues ever.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If palytoxin was nearly as prevalent and dangerous as some make it out to be, zoas wouldn't be in the trade. All the people fragging and selling tons of zoas would have all already died horrible deaths and we'd have purged them from our tanks mostly.

OKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Afternoon All

I have always kept far away from zoas because off the risk of palytoxin, but am really wanting to change my thoughts about zoas. What is everyone's thoughts about the topic and what everyone does to protect themselves?

Thanks All
From what I've seen it's the ugly greenish-brown palys that are the worst offenders when it comes to palytoxin. I'm not sure why anyone would want those in their tank in the first place. I will second what others have said and avoid scrubbing rocks that zoas are attached to and definitely don't give them an acid bath or anything. I tend to wear gloves and safety goggles when handling the zoas, just out of caution, but I don't always do that. In fact, there's been a few times where I have removed algae with a toothbrush from frag plugs zoas were on and definitely got some of the liquid from the plug on my face and eyes and nothing bad happened. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe palytoxin fears are overblown. I don't know, but I don't normally like to risk it, so just handle them with care and you'll be fine.

Pickwun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If palytoxin was nearly as prevalent and dangerous as some make it out to be, zoas wouldn't be in the trade. All the people fragging and selling tons of zoas would have all already died horrible deaths and we'd have purged them from our tanks mostly.
How many fraggers do you have living in your tank?

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got back into sw tanks and like the OP just had to get some zoa in spite of everything I read. Years ago I was very sensitive to stimulants and chemicals that affect the cns, from caffeine to even latex paint. Not so sensitive now While fragging last wknd I wore powder free nitrile gloves, my paint respirator, fragged outside, and opened windows. Probably laughable, but I can keep zoa! I probably will skip the respirator next time and just open windows.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've seen it's the ugly greenish-brown palys that are the worst offenders when it comes to palytoxin. I'm not sure why anyone would want those in their tank in the first place. I will second what others have said and avoid scrubbing rocks that zoas are attached to and definitely don't give them an acid bath or anything. I tend to wear gloves and safety goggles when handling the zoas, just out of caution, but I don't always do that. In fact, there's been a few times where I have removed algae with a toothbrush from frag plugs zoas were on and definitely got some of the liquid from the plug on my face and eyes and nothing bad happened. Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe palytoxin fears are overblown. I don't know, but I don't normally like to risk it, so just handle them with care and you'll be fine.
Nasty green and brown. I think they are beautiful.
IMG_20200220_220348_01.jpg
IMG_20200308_211617_01.jpg

Said to have some of the highest amount of palytoxin.

OKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty green and brown. I think they are beautiful.
IMG_20200220_220348_01.jpg
IMG_20200308_211617_01.jpg

Said to have some of the highest amount of palytoxin.
Usually the ones I see labeled as toxic look like this:
20129_250wh.jpg
palytoxin-zoanthids-from-CDC.gif
1200px-Palythoa_grandis_%28Sun_Zoanthids%29.jpg
palythoa-brown1.jpg

The ones you posted look much better, and are the exact reason why you should take precautions when handling all zoas/palys.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the ones I see labeled as toxic look like this:
20129_250wh.jpg
palytoxin-zoanthids-from-CDC.gif
1200px-Palythoa_grandis_%28Sun_Zoanthids%29.jpg
palythoa-brown1.jpg

The ones you posted look much better, and are the exact reason why you should take precautions when handling all zoas/palys.
Exactly

NanoSteam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also on the over exaggerated boat here. I've been handling paly's and zoas for at least 15 years with bare hands and never had any issue. To be fair I didn't know about paly toxins until just recently. :oops:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back