Panamic Barnacle Blenny - Lightning fast in slow-motion!

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've never seen a fish dart so fast!

I got it on video in regular speed and then in slow-motion so you can compare. I added a wrist watch in stopwatch mode so you can tell how fast he really is. Is that fast or what??

Its funny how in his first dash out in slow-motion he hits the purple whip by mistake on the way back and disintegrates it! Also, super cute how he accepted the shell I put there for him to feel safe.

Enjoy.

Normal speed:

Slow motion:
He darts out at:
0:06
1:35
2:14
3:10
4:34

Last edited:

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I had one of these little guys in my tank very early on and absolutely loved him! So much character and super fast like your video shows. He didn't make it though because I don't think I fed enough. :( I imagine they have a high metabolism like anthias and require multiple feedings a day. I'd love to try one again some time as they just have so much personality.

OP
OP
Albertoinbox

Albertoinbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I had one of these little guys in my tank very early on and absolutely loved him! So much character and super fast like your video shows. He didn't make it though because I don't think I fed enough. :( I imagine they have a high metabolism like anthias and require multiple feedings a day. I'd love to try one again some time as they just have so much personality.
I got many fish in my tank but he is definitely the coolest. His behavior is unique. He reminds me of a moray eel, waving his head sideways and opening and closing his mouth slowly, that added to the fact that his body is pretty much more like an eel than a fish and that he only keeps his head sticking out.

If this isn't enough, he will let me pick him up in his shell, with him inside, and move it if I want to. I can touch him with my tongs and he won't budge.

I added a Tangaroa goby yesterday. It landed by the blenny. The blenny stuck his head inside the gobys mouth and now they get along. What a weird handshake. He's not territorial also, just probably was defending his shell. Which I put beside him when I got him and he readily accepted it.

He will literally take food from other fish mouths if they hesitate for an instant. My clown is like where's the food that was here? The flash took it.

This is the Panamic Barnacle Blenny.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got many fish in my tank but he is definitely the coolest. His behavior is unique. He reminds me of a moray eel, waving his head sideways and opening and closing his mouth slowly, that added to the fact that his body is pretty much more like an eel than a fish and that he only keeps his head sticking out.

If this isn't enough, he will let me pick him up in his shell, with him inside, and move it if I want to. I can touch him with my tongs and he won't budge.

I added a Tangaroa goby yesterday. It landed by the blenny. The blenny stuck his head inside the gobys mouth and now they get along. What a weird handshake. He's not territorial also, just probably was defending his shell. Which I put beside him when I got him and he readily accepted it.

He will literally take food from other fish mouths if they hesitate for an instant. My clown is like where's the food that was here? The flash took it.

This is the Panamic Barnacle Blenny.

Wow! Sounds like an incredibly unique fish! Do you have any other blennies in your tank? I'd like to get another PBC, but I already have a bicolor blenny and wonder if they'd get along.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back