Panic's 360g SPS Peninsula

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of luxury watches. It seems similar things are happening across all types of interests. You could walk into a Rolex dealer with $40,000 in hand and walk out with a whole lot of nothing. Same for a few of the high horology brands as well

Unfortunately involved in that market too, lol. Luckily, have AD connections so within reason can get stainless models with limited wait... But that market is even worse. The prices people are paying for OPs, Subs and Daytonas are absurd.

Watches, bourbon and PC parts seem to be the craziest markets currently. I'm hoping "shortages" don't spill too far over into this hobby otherwise I'll be 4/4.

Last edited:

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately involved in that market too, lol. Luckily, have AD connections so within reason can get stainless models with limited wait... But that market is even worse. The prices people are paying for OPs, Subs and Daytonas are absurd.

Watches, bourbon and PC parts seem to be the craziest markets currently. I'm hoping "shortages" don't spill too far over into this hobby otherwise I'll be 4/4.
I’m not hopeful lol. Seeing how the price of coral has changed from when I left the hobby to now is pretty crazy. I will say in some cases it’s justified but sometimes it’s just madness.

In regards to Rolex, I saw someone pay $14,000 for an OP!! I love my OP but cannot imagine paying anything near that for one

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not hopeful lol. Seeing how the price of coral has changed from when I left the hobby to now is pretty crazy. I will say in some cases it’s justified but sometimes it’s just madness.

In regards to Rolex, I saw someone pay $14,000 for an OP!! I love my OP but cannot imagine paying anything near that for one

Very true, gone are the days of trading and reasonable frag swaps for the most part too... People just want to turn a buck at the expense of other peoples hobbies. It it what it is I suppose.

$14k for an OP is just laughable, no way they hold a value anywhere close to that long term. From a horology stand point OPs are bottom barrel basic "luxury" watch. As with any Rolex you're mostly buying the name but OPs were a prime example even at $5k. I've been offered quite a few SS Sports at MSRP but refused everyone lately. I could make a quick profit, but just doesn't sit right. Especially when I have a relationship with my AD and patiently am waiting for an 116500LN for sentimental value.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, gone are the days of trading and reasonable frag swaps for the most part too... People just want to turn a buck at the expense of other peoples hobbies. It it what it is I suppose.

$14k for an OP is just laughable, no way they hold a value anywhere close to that long term. From a horology stand point OPs are bottom barrel basic "luxury" watch. As with any Rolex you're mostly buying the name but OPs were a prime example even at $5k. I've been offered quite a few SS Sports at MSRP but refused everyone lately. I could make a quick profit, but just doesn't sit right. Especially when I have a relationship with my AD and patiently am waiting for an 116500LN for sentimental value.
Flipping them is getting ridiculous. Even the PM pieces are flying off the shelves. I’m patiently waiting waiting for a BLRO. Also considering selling my OP for a Sub.

As for frag swaps I miss the days where you could get things for a good price. Sometimes you still can but it’s pretty rare now. I used to think frag swaps would really hurt LFS business but if anything it has helped to inflate it

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the alkatronic treating you? I have one on the way that I’m impatiently waiting for…

So far I really like it. It was locked up there for about a week. Customer service was slow to respond for that week but ultimately led me to a needed firmware update. Also my ssid that had been the same for years was not compatible. It has to be all letters, ie, “Smith Home 2.4” won’t work but “smithhome” will be compatible. My dKH has never been so stable.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, I can’t even imagine! I appreciate a nice watch but I haven’t worn one since I got a smart phone.

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They asked about the edge finish on the back wall 11 days ago so I thought they were building it then. Hopefully they will be wrapping it up soon

Nice i cant wait to see this thing

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eagle has landed

06540CE0-7021-453E-A23D-2E7118DF6682.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's in the truck? :D

Just a box... :)

here’s an adventure story:

I knew we were getting close to getting the tank and the rep said they would let us know a few days before the truck is headed to kc. We were notified the night before it was going to arrive. Of course I’m on shift at the fire department for 24 hours that day and can’t just leave and no vacation is available since everybody is using their stockpiled vacation that was unused last year because of Covid. My wife luckily had a work-from-home day and said she’d go pick it up at the shop. They said they would give us a window of when the delivery would be made to the shop so the my wife could drive my truck to the shop and they could roll the tank directly in to my truck. Well they just showed up at the shop with no notice and our house is 30 minutes from the shop. They didn’t want to wait so they rolled the tank in to the back of a pickup truck at the shop. Luckily there was a giant man there to help the shop owner slide the tank in to my truck so the that my wife could white-knuckle it back home safe and sound. I just got home and unwrapped it - I’ll look at it closer when it gets inside tonight. I’m excited!!

0C8A838A-466F-4A2D-83D5-BFD482C1D4D7.jpeg

26E636B8-4844-4042-AEB8-10D8A1A1FD1D.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a box... :)

here’s an adventure story:

I knew we were getting close to getting the tank and the rep said they would let us know a few days before the truck is headed to kc. We were notified the night before it was going to arrive. Of course I’m on shift at the fire department for 24 hours that day and can’t just leave and no vacation is available since everybody is using their stockpiled vacation that was unused last year because of Covid. My wife luckily had a work-from-home day and said she’d go pick it up at the shop. They said they would give us a window of when the delivery would be made to the shop so the my wife could drive my truck to the shop and they could roll the tank directly in to my truck. Well they just showed up at the shop with no notice and our house is 30 minutes from the shop. They didn’t want to wait so they rolled the tank in to the back of a pickup truck at the shop. Luckily there was a giant man there to help the shop owner slide the tank in to my truck so the that my wife could white-knuckle it back home safe and sound. I just got home and unwrapped it - I’ll look at it closer when it gets inside tonight. I’m excited!!

0C8A838A-466F-4A2D-83D5-BFD482C1D4D7.jpeg

26E636B8-4844-4042-AEB8-10D8A1A1FD1D.jpeg

200.gif

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do y’all think about the back wall where the overflow is? I’m worried that I will see that big bubble there. My requirement for the back was to see only black glass. I sent pics to my rep to send to Planet to see what they want to do about it.

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,
You think you will keep the overflow side clean? That side has been covered with coraline in all my tanks. If it’s not a structural thing and everything is good, I’m not sure if I’d deal with the wait again at this point. Unfortunately this is part of custom build. The wait is usually longer than expected and the tank can show up in less than ideal quality.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug,
You think you will keep the overflow side clean? That side has been covered with coraline in all my tanks. If it’s not a structural thing and everything is good, I’m not sure if I’d deal with the wait again at this point. Unfortunately this is part of custom build. The wait is usually longer than expected and the tank can show up in less than ideal quality.

Yessir, I know what you mean with the back wall and letting coralline naturally cover it and blending in. It looks great and I’ve loved it in my tanks but this one I want focus on the pieces in the box with the least amount of connection to the box. I want to see 360 degrees of the reef.

The tank is too big for the room as far as design goes. I just realized it, but it would have been perfectly spaced with a 2x2x6 tank as a room divider. I’m still so happy with how it looks in the room - size and height. I wouldn’t change anything so far

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a 42 inch high stand right? Perfect for some stools and a bartop/ledge next to the tank.

What if you move the piano over in front of vent to the right like below. You'd have a great view of the end of the tank while playing.

Then slide the tank closer to the windows on the left. That would let the room to the right have more space and there would be more walk around the tank space when going from room to room.

Add a bar top/ledge against the tank closest to the windows on the left and a couple stools to sit on. Up close viewing :) Just an idea!

Tank of PANIC.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back