Panic's 360g SPS Peninsula

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time to start a build thread for my new tank that I ordered today, finally.

- Planet Aquariums tank ordered through Paradise Aquatics in Kansas City
- 70x48x24"
- Peninsula
- Low Iron on 3 sides
- Black back glass
- External overflow, notched upper back glass
- PVC bottom
- Eurobraced
- Open 2" steel tube stand with adjustable feet

Lighting
- 6 Radion xr30 g4
- 2 Aquatic Life t5 hybrid fixtures

Flow
- 4 Vortech mp40wqd
- 1 mp60

This new tank replaces a 220g (Link Here) that started falling apart about 2 years ago. I had a friend weld me a metal frame for the top to keep the thing from falling apart, which I document in that thread. Taking a tank down is such a process that I decided that I would take the opportunity to roll that in with a remodel of that room which is also falling apart. My house was built in 1975 and was kept up very nice but never remodeled before we bought it 13 years ago. Every other year we remodel a room and we are about out of rooms, so this one's ticket is up. This room has 15 feet of single pane glass windows that are 6' tall, wood rot on the exterior, carpet ruined by my German Shepherds, popcorn texture on the ceilings, old outlets and trim, etc. So out with the old and in with the new. Carpet will be replaced with hardwoods that match our media room, the windows replaced with double pane picture windows, ceiling scraped and skim coated, new trim to match the updated trim in the rest of the house. I'll pay to have the giant windows installed, but I will do the rest of the work myself.

The room is L shaped and the tank will separate the rooms, with a sitting room on one side and formal dining room on the other. I have a 10' x 36" piece of live edge oak slab curing in my garage that I'll make in to the dining table once the room and tank build is complete. The tank will be off of an exterior wall and centered along a structural I-beam underneath.

I started the move 3 months ago in the middle of August by moving all of my SPS colonies to a 72x24x12 rimless lowbow along with 2 of the 4 Ecotech mp40wqd for flow and the lighting, which is 3x Ecotech Radion xr30 g4 in an Aquatic Life Hybrid t5 fixture. I plumbed in a Vectra s2 as the return pump for that new Frag Lagoon which I love. The Ecosmart Live app is great for hitting a button to turn off all the flow and return pump in that tank so I can target feed my corals with Benepets and Oyster Feast, check out the eye candy, and move things back to where the go after the Turbo snails have been up all night remodeling the tank. I enjoy looking in at the tank top down which is why I have the new tank a little shorter and as wide as I could make it. A 4x6 lagoon frag tank has been my favorite tank to this day, followed closely by the new Frag Lagoon. The new penensula I hope will be my all time fave.

Last week the LPS moved down to the sump room, followed by some of the rock each day over the next week. Once the fish were out and spread out to the other tanks, complete teardown insued. Carpet and trim tearout, drained the tank, tore out plumbing, moved the tank to a local reef shop in trade for some store credit. I have picked up the hardwood for the floors and have it in the room adjusting to the humidity of the house for 2 weeks before I install it. I scraped all the texture off the ceiling and am skim coating it now - awesome shoulder workout! I have to run the drain and return to the position of the new tank also before the floor goes in, and update the electrical. It's going to be a busy 2 weeks!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tear out

B6DCE01E-8490-479F-93E5-A71BA9EC32BA.jpeg

D744816F-0FCF-473F-ADF0-D045884CBB3E.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few ideas that I found for my stand. I’ll do 4 uprights on the long side, 3 on the ends, 5 across the top. Once I get the exact footprint dimensions from Planet, I can get the 2” tube and start the stand. What I mean is that I will buy the tubing and have the shop cut it, then take it to my friend’s house who will then weld it together for me. I have a nice welder and can weld ok, but I don’t trust myself to make it square enough to support a really expensive glass box. I’ll weld the nuts under the bottom support for the adjustable feet and prep it for powdercoat. I will leave the stand open to give the room a more open feel.

I’ll use an adjustable foot under each of the 10 uprights in my stand
0ED73523-2CAC-4C63-B6EC-4EB668B0DB1A.jpeg

074E6C60-F6A5-4B37-9C93-BB7D4593FBAD.jpeg

E5E59EEB-672E-452F-AC77-9844D4C5B935.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowboy is packed and the stonies are growing like crazy right now. Hopefully I have a tank to put them in soon.

627AA67F-F8D8-4F50-A74A-71B991FB2B8B.jpeg

I put some rock in my 270, some in my frag tank, some in the fuge, the sump, and the rest in the Rubbermaid tubs below the lowboy.

C6B71802-7B24-4622-A7AA-DE5C2018C51F.jpeg

Here’s my frag tank housing some of the lower light lps. I had to move the sps to the lowboy along with one of the Mp40s. This tank doesn’t need much flow with these corals in there.

AB0330B0-73D8-42B7-8768-7F6B10504655.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice little project you have going on there! Super nice coral selection as well!

Thank you! There is always a project at my house...

Found this handy chart I used as a quick reference. I have a 4x8 #15 I-beam at 10’ span.

3F06BDEB-5168-4D6F-B97B-FBA54B0630A1.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my plan drawn out for the stand and hopefully get that started this week. I finished the skim coat on my ceiling and I start the wood floor install Monday morning when I get off work. It will be a long 2 days...

The stand feet will add an inch plus, and the 3/4” plywood and 1/2” foam will raise the bottom of the tank to around 45”

I’ll use .125 2” steel tube. I see stands made out of 2” with thinner wall and less bracing, so I figure I’d go a little heavier wall and more bracing. It’s not going to buckle and fall. I only worry about it leaning and collapsing so I’m using some angle braces to avoid the leeeeeeeean.

D20556C1-0418-493D-9402-4C59C90A3408.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The room. I found the popcorn texture on the ceiling to have been painted over, so it didn’t scrape off by simply wetting it. I had to scrape off the points, sand it down mostly with an orbital sander with 80 grit, then skim coat it 3 times. It suuuuuuucked. Looks great though - nice and smooth. Also patched up the walls.

I confirmed that the steel I-beam was where I thought it was, ripped out the old plumbing from the floor, cut a new hole in the floor under the new tank position for the drain and return, and laid the hardwood floors. It has been a busy week!

My daughter helped me with the floor and she got the hang of it within minutes, although her interest ran out after a couple of hours. A good friend was there from the beginning and we almost finished in one day.

1E528F24-2475-4D9C-B8C1-3BD771E50CE9.jpeg

B40AECAA-99B0-47E4-8CCC-13A7C2DA50C1.jpeg

2D71F294-76DC-4A90-9BEA-088456F52869.jpeg

9D2930E3-1BFE-4D9D-96C4-3CB4CCB1478F.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The adjustable feet arrived for the stand. They are huge! I went with 3” with 5/8” bolts. I plan to use them for leveling the tank of course, but also to raise the base of the stand so that I can get my dust mop under it for my daily dog hair collection. Between two 100 pound German Shepherds, I have enough shedded fur to make a full size wookie costume for my whole family every Halloween.

750 for size reference
F46DF614-F92C-4C8F-8067-8173F6E2690C.jpeg

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am debating between 30 and 36” width for a mini peninsula, 48” is crazy good build!

Go wide! My favorite reef I’ve seen in person was a 240 - 4x4x2. I decided then that I would hold out getting a new tank until I could get that. Once I started working on the logistics I realized that I would have a bunch of wasted space at the end of the tank that wasn’t big enough to put a barstool or anything next to the wall, so the longer tank came in to play. The jump past 48” to 60” long made the cost a lot more, but not much more than that to go out to 70”

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks amazing and you have dang good taste in the bourbon selection as well. I am a newbie here in the kc area

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that looks amazing and you have dang good taste in the bourbon selection as well. I am a newbie here in the kc area

Hey what’s up?! We have several guys in KC with new really nice reefs or are in the process of rebuilding them. I can never remember their names on r2r though.

I love the fancy brown water (non-rye, and never Scotch) but am not much of a winter drinker. I stockpile bottles over the cold months as my liver hibernates, preparing for drinking season which is from April thru October. I log crazy long hours on my dock absorbing as much Vitamin D during the day and hydrating with a vengeance thru the wee hours of the night. Repeat.

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a rye or scotch guy either. I find I tend to drink more dirty water in the winter and more beer during the summer. I have been in the reef work for years but just started back up a 120 setup with the wife

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Already a great build!

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug, i can take some of those corals off your hand if you're running out of space! still need to get that last order from you back.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back