OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doug, i can take some of those corals off your hand if you're running out of space! still need to get that last order from you back.

Ready when you are! Everything needs trimmed so I’ll be having quite a few sticks up for grabs in about 2 weeks to fund the new tank. This build is getting expensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planet Aquariums sent the sheet showing all the specs for the build that had quite a few discrepancies from my original request. They had a 4x20” piece of acrylic on the inside of the overflow notch - I wanted nothing on the inside of the tank, just the notch cut out of the glass. They had the returns coming out of that but I want those coming out of the corner in the back glass. Also they had black wrap on the back glass instead of black glass. Makes me kind of nervous considering I was pretty detailed in my specs. They have a good reputation for building g great tanks and backing them if you have issues, so that’s the most important to me - after getting exactly what I want of course. My dealer had to send the changes back and usually it’s a week to hear back from Planet so it will be probably February before I get the tank. I’m cool with that though since I still need to build the stand, bring electric to the tank position, trim out the room and paint it.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the new boxes for the outlets and some 2” smurf tube to run the cords for the lights. It has always bothered me being able to see the cords dangling back behind the tank so now they run in to the box at the top and out the single box in the bottom middle. I’ll wait til the room is finished to install the rest of the outlets so I don’t get them covered in paint.

I ordered the 2” tubing for the stand also and will pick that up tomorrow.

4D349762-1ABC-440E-B7CC-BA28CF1E0ACA.jpeg

BDB9F0A3-40C7-4FAD-A46F-4DFCE3458F62.jpeg

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it have been cheaper to just pickup some 80/20?

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant wait to see this build take shape. Everything is so ****** so far

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant wait to see this build take shape. Everything is so ****** so far

Me too! I just gave the steel to my friend to weld up. I can weld ok, but he was a welder professionally for several years, so I’m happy to pay him for his quality work.

I figured out what 80/20 is that @SeeFu mentioned - the extruded aluminum kit. Probably would have been close in price if not cheaper to do the kit after paying to have it welded, buying the leveling feet, sandblasting, powder coating. I would still have done the steel since I’m leaving it open underneath as more of a design element. The powder coated steel frame is going to look pretty sweet with the giant stainless feet on the hardwoods.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully the frag pack i'm picking up from you helps out w/ the build

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to update. Still finishing up the trim and we are headed up to grab the last few pieces and pick out wall paint. I just ordered these chairs as I munched on some Ramen, which is all I'll be eating for a while after ordering these chairs...

These are the Eames Rocker replicas which I will have next to the reef. I have been looking at these for quite some time and there are two companies make the replica of the original to spec. They are manufactured in the US, and I'm pretty sure there are the two companies that sell the same thing from that build house. The reviews are great, so hopefully I love them. I'm pretty excited about it

eames rocker.jpg

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to update. Still finishing up the trim and we are headed up to grab the last few pieces and pick out wall paint. I just ordered these chairs as I munched on some Ramen, which is all I'll be eating for a while after ordering these chairs...

These are the Eames Rocker replicas which I will have next to the reef. I have been looking at these for quite some time and there are two companies make the replica of the original to spec. They are manufactured in the US, and I'm pretty sure there are the two companies that sell the same thing from that build house. The reviews are great, so hopefully I love them. I'm pretty excited about it

eames rocker.jpg

Gorgeous! Mind letting me know where you're getting them and what your experience is? Been wanting to get one for a while.

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous! Mind letting me know where you're getting them and what your experience is? Been wanting to get one for a while.

I sure will, they are supposed to be here this next week.

The stand is tacked together and square. Welding is ready to commence.

99C7B583-A442-4561-A62A-7F00418B9DF1.jpeg

m3p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great so far!

Can't wait for this to get up so I can come admire it while drinking bourbon!

OP
OP
panic

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything looks great so far!

Can't wait for this to get up so I can come admire it while drinking bourbon!
OK, I'm in!

I have the wainscoating finished and primed. This part I'll fill, sand, and prime once again for a nice, smooth finish. This is my seating area for viewing the tank and chillin. My plan is to have all the trim including that ready for the top coat later this week.

FD14C20C-5741-4AE1-93CF-80AC98DBEE33.jpeg

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jesus doug, so you're parent, floorer, cabinet installer and reefer. got anything else to add to that list? lol

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang so reefs, bourbon and an audiophile. Nice i like all of those things

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you play the audio loud and deep enough it might vibrate the tank enough to generate a standing wave.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back