Par and LED’s

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have a question?

I did a par reading on my tank for the first time. I noticed that the par is at 30 on the sand bed and 100 at the top. I’m currently running 1 hydra 26HD on a 9 gallon. Yes I know it’s over kill, but was bought for when I upgrade so I don’t have to buy a new light.

BRS recommends the mounting height to be 13 inches off the surface so I placed mine at 12 which is as high as my mound will go.

My question is I’m adding sps like birds nest and encrusting montipora so I wanna make sure my PAR is more then 100 for them, how should I go about this?

I have already tested what % I need the lights at to reach the 250-450 par range at the top of my tank. Which would cause the sand bed to be 100-120.

Should I be making adjustments now and at what rate? Sps is already put in tank as of yesterday.

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common to acclimate new corals to a new light. I would increase the intensity slowly every day over the next 10 days or so until you hit your desired PAR reading.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common to acclimate new corals to a new light. I would increase the intensity slowly every day over the next 10 days or so until you hit your desired PAR reading.
How much a day like 1% each colour? Or 5? I’m not sure what would be considered too fast?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity do you have it at now? And what intensity did you need to set it at to achieve the desired 250-450 range in your tank? I would divide that by 10, and that's your daily increase interval.

For example, if you are at 25% now and need to get to 75%, then you're increasing your intensity by 50 points. Divided by 10 days, that's 5% per day.

OP
OP
JackerVenom

JackerVenom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What intensity do you have it at now? And what intensity did you need to set it at to achieve the desired 250-450 range in your tank? I would divide that by 10, and that's your daily increase interval.

For example, if you are at 25% now and need to get to 75%, then you're increasing your intensity by 50 points. Divided by 10 days, that's 5% per day.
You hit it on the nose! That’s exactly what I need. It’s at 20-25% depending on the colour and need to be at 77%

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back