Paraguard vs Safety Stop

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am unable to do a quarantine tank at the moment. I was looking into doing a medicated dip before adding any fish to the tank. I was going to use Seachem's Paraguard for this. However, I have now come across Safety Stop Instant Quarantine, which uses Formalin and Methylene Blue.
Which is better for me to use in my situation, or can I use both the Paraguard and Saftey Stop together for one fish? If so, which order should I do it in?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally used paraguard I have not used safety stop so I cannot comment on safety stop. Paraguard I have had a little success with managing ich and velvet when used in the direct tank. I used it in stores I worked at for fish like green chromis as most would die a day or two after arrival (if I had to guess it was uronema) and it seemed to either improve their immune system to fight it or prevent infection. Never noticed flukes while using it either but I normally did freshwater dips every week and on every new fish. It also helped treat some bacterial infections, however it only seemed effective in early stages of infection or in prevention.

Overall I like it because it appears to help with some diseases. I use it in the final week to 2 weeks in qt for my fish just as an extra added layer of protection. However in my mind it will not replace copper, general cure, or kanaplex + furan-2

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally used paraguard I have not used safety stop so I cannot comment on safety stop. Paraguard I have had a little success with managing ich and velvet when used in the direct tank. I used it in stores I worked at for fish like green chromis as most would die a day or two after arrival (if I had to guess it was uronema) and it seemed to either improve their immune system to fight it or prevent infection. Never noticed flukes while using it either but I normally did freshwater dips every week and on every new fish. It also helped treat some bacterial infections, however it only seemed effective in early stages of infection or in prevention.

Overall I like it because it appears to help with some diseases. I use it in the final week to 2 weeks in qt for my fish just as an extra added layer of protection. However in my mind it will not replace copper, general cure, or kanaplex + furan-2
What do you reccomend I use instead, since I cannot do a quarantine tank?

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating for anything in particular? Like I said I've only used paraguard so thats why I would use
It would just be a preventative measure for my fish, that seem healthy. Just to try and prevent any outbreaks since I do not have a quarantine. No specific disease or illness.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i have always believed the copper aka blue water ,will take care of fish in qt,but weakens immune system,then when put in reef very easy to pick up something community is immune to,not a researcher,old school few fresh water dips if not going to qt,open to opinions on my beliefs thanks

OP
OP
J

JackDemetriou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i have always believed the copper aka blue water ,will take care of fish in qt,but weakens immune system,then when put in reef very easy to pick up something community is immune to,not a researcher,old school few fresh water dips if not going to qt,open to opinions on my beliefs thanks
The blue section in the Safety Stop is Methylene Blue

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20 years ago was ick out or quickcure think thats all avail back then lol

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any opinion on my therory of immune system

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
old fritz i'm from nw burbs ,just moved south,i'd like to hear your opinion

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
30 years reefing,will not even keep treatments in house,copper or not, uv ,cleaner wrasses shrimp or ground garlic mushed in food,win some lose some,not really big fish fan,sometimes years will go by before i add a fish to a reef

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does weaken the immune system and will open the fish up to bacterial infections, it can also act as an appetite suppressant presumable because the copper stresses the fish. If you properly treat your fish in qt before adding into a dt you shouldn't have to worry about an infection found in the dt whether it be bacterial or parasitic (note bacterial infections can still happen in a dt especially if there is any bullying). Fresh water dips can in my experience only be done when you notice symptoms for flukes as just doing freshwater dips does nothing more than stress the fish. If you have ich, velvet, or brook it can provide some relief but with brook it really only buys you a few hours and for ich and velvet really doesn't have much of an impact.

It is possible to keep fish in a dt that has any disease as it can be manageable. One of my friends has 6 marine tanks that he knows all has ich/velvet however he doesn't treat for it. He only really loses new fish. There is evidence that fish build some immunity towards ich after surviving it. So if their is ich in your dt it isn't the end of the world, however, I will always recommend trying to treat them in some way as letting disease stay in your tank is like playing with fire

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thank you that is more text than i have ever read on diseases,have been very succesful with my fish ,have many tanks mostly just a few in each seperate system all full blown reefs,wash hands ,eq between touching another,knock on wood 2x,strawberry basslet 13 yrs chevron 11,brown horses ,life expec 2-3 rs,have had for 5 now were breeding pairs 2015,knockin again ,still with me thanks again

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safety Stop is a very good product, I use it on all my new fish. The real key is finding a reputable source for your fish, observe fish closely for any sign of injury or illness & have them feed the fish for you! If everything looks good purchase the fish. You could also ask them to hold the fish for a few days or even a week. Then if everything still looks good bring your fish home for a quick Saftey Stop bath then introduce them by putting them in a holding tank inside your tank so the other inhabitants can get used to them. Give that at least 3 days then let them roam. This doesn't guarantee they'll all get along but it will give them a good chance for a peaceful introduction! Good luck!

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I am unable to do a quarantine tank at the moment. I was looking into doing a medicated dip before adding any fish to the tank. I was going to use Seachem's Paraguard for this. However, I have now come across Safety Stop Instant Quarantine, which uses Formalin and Methylene Blue.
Which is better for me to use in my situation, or can I use both the Paraguard and Saftey Stop together for one fish? If so, which order should I do it in?
Do you have corals in your tank? If so, don't use paraguard. I used it last year, and like a D/A, didn't read the direction carefully. It'll bleach/strip SPS. I don't know why they even sell it on BRS. It should be used only in a QT system, or fish only.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back