Parameter Advice - 25g lagoon

Fishy Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my IM 25g lagoon setup for about 6 weeks now and have a question about parameters and dosing. I am using regular IO salt but my Ca measurements have been consistently low; I'm trying to make sure the salt is mixed in the bucket thoroughly before mixing a new batch but I'm still only testing at about 380 in a fresh 5g batch. With the addition of some more corals I've noticed my Alk is now beginning to drop as well.

I'm still pretty lightly stocked and am hesitant to begin dosing if I don't need to but also want to be proactive and not wait until I'm having problems to address it; I do plan to add more LPS over the next couple of months I just don't want to get into a game of chasing numbers in a nano tank.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Coral:
  • various Zoas
  • Duncan
  • Maze Brain
  • Devils Hand Leather
  • GSP
  • Monti Cap

20-Jan-2414-Jan-246-Jan-2431-Dec-23
SG1.0261.0271.0261.026
NO320.118.211.58.7
PO40.260.150.150.07
KH7.58.08.38.3
Ca340340360360

FTS
IMG_6479.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some Ca and alk products and start dosing. Also consider IO Reef Crystals instead of plain IO.

I use IO Reef Crystals and I dose Dow Flake (snow melt salt) for Ca dosing and swimming pool supply soda ash for alk. I've dosed these for 20+ years with no adverse reaction. Look up Randy Holmes-Farley in the chemistry section. It's because of him that I started using these. And they cost WAY less than anything in the LFS or online.

I currently have a 40g cube, aio tank with just a filter sock. It's all sps & lps corals, some anemones and CUC, no fish. And everybody is doing great!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many good ways to maintain calcium and alk, but if the calcium values are accurate, you should bring them up with a calcium only supplement, such as calcium chloride or just the calcium part of a two part system. AFR is a fine maintenance plan, but cannot correct the low calcium without skyrocketing alk.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back