Parameters are off and sps are not happy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 180 gallon mainly sps tank that has been doing very well until about a month or so ago The colors of my acros slowly lightened and a couple of them almost bleached. I attributed the issue to low potassium and have been dosing quite a bit. Come to find out that my Triton ICP reported Potassium to be 490, a new potassium kit confirmed the high readings as well. I was basing my correction on a faulty test kit... as my corals started to look worse I added more potassium, I finally started to question the accuracy of my test kit and backed off of the potassium until the ICP test results came back. Well, I'm now in a mode to balance my tank with multiple water changes.

I also found that I have elevated Lanthanum and I can't figure out where it has come from. I had a gyre impeller rust in my tank, I think I caught it fairly early... could that be the issue?

I also added a single small rock that I have been treating with pool phosphate remover in a bucket for the past few weeks... I rinsed the rock very well before putting in my tank, I can't see how that could be the issue, but I guess its possible.

I just finished a 30 gallon water change, Triton recommends that I complete 6 weekly 30 gallon water changes. I'm hoping the water changes will lower my calcium and mag and raise strontium a bit as well.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 134

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum is used as a phosphate remover in pools, so there is certainly a possibility there. I am also using it (in a floss filter sock, to keep flocks in the sock as much a possible) in order to remove the phosphates from some new cycling cleaned dry rock.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that it was probably the rust in your tank , I would follow tritons advice , it sorted my tank out when I had similar problems !

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to perform 2, 30 gallon water changes today and then spread them out. Hopefully that will lower my potassium and Lanthanum enough for them to become less problematic.

I’m not sure if the impeller rusting is the source of the Lanthanum. I would expect other heavy metals if that was the case?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton will give you an example or possible causes from where the contamination came from in the advice or actions section

CapAquaATX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum 100% came from that pool phosphate remover (Lanthanum Chloride). Potassium can definitely kill SPS corals and you'll need to bring that level down with water changes. Triton's suggestion of weekly water changes seems right on and I'd just make sure the saltwater I was making up had similar alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, etc as my tank to not stress things further. You should be able to save everything but it will take a good while for them to color back up.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just was looking back at my notes and discovered that I took my water sample from on 2/20... I placed the rock in the tank treated with Seaclear (and rinsed very well) the next day. The LA can not be from that rock... Could the gyre impellar contain LA? It's the only logical source.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been dosing trace elements of any sort , that could have resulted in an overdose of some kind .. I’m not sure about the LA from the impeller ..

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum is usually from liquid phosphate removers and can take a long time to leave the system if not removed via water changes, have you used and liquid phosphate removers on that system in the past?

Removal is pretty simple via water changes with good quality salt, we recommend using Tropic Marin Pro or Red Sea blue bucket.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum is usually from liquid phosphate removers and can take a long time to leave the system if not removed via water changes, have you used and liquid phosphate removers on that system in the past?

Removal is pretty simple via water changes with good quality salt, we recommend using Tropic Marin Pro or Red Sea blue bucket.

Thank you Tim.

All the rock in my tank was old used rock that I conditioned in large containers using Sea Clear phosphate remover, and rinsed very well before being placed in the tank. The tank has been running for over a year, my first icp test came back with 0 LA in the tank a few months after it being set up.

I did place a 1 pound rock in the tank that was treated with the same product over two weeks ago; however, it was AFTER I took the water sample for my latest test.

I have been feeding a lot of frozen food lately due to low nutrients, this can also be a source as Triton has suggested.

I believe the coral issues are attributed to the high K, at the time of the test was 490 and I even increased the dose after due to the faulty readings I was given on my previous K test. I’m sure the K was over 500 before I realized what was going on. I’ve stopped dosing K and have performed two 30 gallon water changes yesterday with TMPR. I’ll perform the other 4 water changes in the coming weeks via Tritons recommendations of 6 15% weekly water changes. I hope to see some improvement from these two changes..... LA should be around 3 micrograms/l and K tested at 460.... these are not ideal but should begin to help.

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any information on the effects of Potassium over 500 on sps? I have performed two 30 and one 45 gallon water change in the past few days.... My Potassium is now around 450 and other parameters are solid: Alk: 8.1 / CA: 460 / MG: 1350....

Any advice besides patience on recovery?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back