jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm currently struggling with some parameter issues.

I've attached at the bottom what my levels are as of this past Saturday and a video of my tank.

Right now I'm slowly trying to raise my salinity by topping off with 1.026.

My pH has be stable at 8 for about two months.

My nitrate I've been slowly trying to raise by more feeding, two weeks ago I raised it from 0 to 3.8 now it's back down to 0.4

Alk was at 7.8 three weeks ago and has been at 6.8 the past two weeks.

Just bought a Hanna Phos tester over the weekend and it tested 0.

I currently only have two clowns in my 20g, tank is about 2 months old and I'm starting to go through the ugly phase with look like it could be a small start to some Cyano starting. Is there anything I can be doing to help raise my Alk, Phos and Nitrates slowly but surely? I would like to add some corals (mainly softie tank is what I'm aiming for) but don't want/plan to till I get my parameters stable.

Also, I am running a skimmer, should I turn it off till I get all this figured out?

Thank you.

1000014453.png

Attachments

• 20240121_144322.mp4
    116.9 MB
Last edited:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally wouldn't use a skimmer. Your tank looks very new. The ugly things you are starting to see are actually good. I would only do regular water changes and make sure you have a diverse clean up crew.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't use a skimmer. Your tank looks very new. The ugly things you are starting to see are actually good. I would only do regular water changes and make sure you have a diverse clean up crew.
Yeah, I decided to turn my skimmer off before going to work and I plan to get a CUC this weekend. As for my parameters should I just keep feeding heavy and doing water changes? I skipped my weekly 3g water change yesterday since my nitrates were so low.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just feed regularly and do regular water changes so you get stability. I wouldn't worry about nitrates yet. The ugly stages can't be avoided. They shouldn't be avoided. It's actually a good thing.

OP
OP
jbonez_

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just feed regularly and do regular water changes so you get stability. I wouldn't worry about nitrates yet. The ugly stages can't be avoided. They shouldn't be avoided. It's actually a good thing.
I know the green algae is part of the ugly phase, but is there a way to determine if the reddish/pink stuff is either Cyano or Coralline?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back