OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, officially jealous. That looks awesome, and that heat exchanger is going to do wonders for dropping your electrical costs with not having to run heaters.

I’m currently watching a Sesame Street live show, so no sump progress. Maybe tomorrow...

Ha! Ugh I wish I could take a seat at this point! Tonight! Devil hockey’s on! Lol. I want water in it no later then tomorrow.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock work looks great. I can see it in my head in the tank all prettied up with corals. The wire looks crazy! o_O I have my aquarium stuff divided between two different circuits. Totally understand that.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Where in NJ are ya?
Hunterdon county flemington clinton area. I’ve been laid up do to a injury but will be playing with it shortly.
Normally it’s hard to find time but now I have all the time but can’t do much. Got to love how life works

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m stuck....

5db92b5018b1a4f810270bbdeff777eb.jpg

I’m seriously debating if I should extend the overhang another 6-8” to the right and maybe put something small at the end... it’s such a striking scene I don’t want to over due it... any objections

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! the rock looks very linear so be sure to place corals that will grow to be of varing height, across the highest structure, especially. Does that make sense? "see" how the coral will look, not just how the rock looks now.

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the aquascape a lot. What sand are you using.

Thanks! I’m using Aragonite special grade. As much as I liked Fiji Pink, the mp40s would throw sand around all the time. Considering how much turn over I’ll be capable of, I went with a heavier grain. I’ll report back!

BTW, I have a child hood friend that now lives in flemington. I don’t get out there as much as I should, though.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3603.PNG

Have you heard of the rules of three? I placed a 1/3 grid over your photo to demonstrate what I mean. The rock looks good how you have it but for some reason the tanks that always inspire us and give that ooh feeling usually incorporate that 1/3 focal point somehow. The rock structure to the right where the lines intersect would make a perfect spot for your focal point such as "the perfect coral", or your favorite specimen. At least IMO...:p

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the heat exchanger... No leaks!! Making water now, tank should be wet before the end of the day.

Do you guys usually pump RODI water in the tank and then mix salt in tank using the available flow or make salt water then pump it into tank?

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot! Woot! Water in the tank!
Make the salt water than pump it into the tank is what I did.
250 gallons 30 gallons at a time and I used my sump so 75 gallons at a time.

Ugh lol. That’s going to take forever!!!!! My well water is high I’m CO2 so I have to fill one container... degas it then move it through the DI resin to another. You’re breaking my heart! [emoji6]

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not fill the tank and then add salt. Many have done it that way.

I have crappy well water also. I have to replace a neutralizer for low ph before I can move on with making water.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and mix it directly on the tank if there is nothing alive in there.
And you do not need to redo the rock. It is great. Just imagine the corals in the "right" areas all grown up and place them as a focal points. The rock looks like a great base!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh lol. That’s going to take forever!!!!! My well water is high I’m CO2 so I have to fill one container... degas it then move it through the DI resin to another. You’re breaking my heart! [emoji6]
That stinks. I am pretty lucky up here by the great lakes. Good water usually.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I third this option. It’s what I did. I had my sump full of salt water, Then I filled the tank up with rodi after I added the rockwork and the rinsed sand. Once it was full- I turned on the return pump to circulate, then added 3 bags of salt to the sump 5-6 cups at s time until it all mixed through.

Still took 2 days because it’s 320g total vol and I have a 180gpd unit, but after a day circulating, it was perfect.

I guess my method was a mix of the two... but when I filled sump, my 40g fuge was filled with rodi, then I added a bag of rc and a powerhead. The rest was through the water change station

OP
OP
Dubs83

Dubs83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not fill the tank and then add salt. Many have done it that way.

I have crappy well water also. I have to replace a neutralizer for low ph before I can move on with making water.

Explain this neutralizer, please! My low pH is caused by high levels of CO2 which in currently getting rid of by simply aerating the RO water before passing it through the DI resin. If I don't do this, my 2 canisters of resin are good for about 70 gallons of water.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now just learning it all because I’m starting my first tank. The house I rent has a sediment filter, Uv light and a auto neutralizer. I was told the neutralizer is for low PH. I do not as of now know why it’s low but assume it’s from C02.
Basically the neutralizer tank hold calcium carbonate and it is supposed to raise the ph. It looks like this
DDCE0A32-E578-4A3C-9E13-77B5A590FAE0.jpeg

Brs thought i could skip the aerating part and let the di resin remove the calcium. I think they are about $1200
If you have info for me I would appreciate it. I’m clueless lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back