Pavona Coral Sick/Dying

SeaweedGecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a green pavona coral 2 months ago. It is my first SPS after having a bunch of soft corals.

He is in moderate/high lighting with high flow and I'm dosing the tank with All-for-One Reef solution as recommended by my LFS.
He got knocked over a couple times by the hermit crabs before I could buy more putty to set him. He went white but kept a few red patches. After two weeks, his white went more yellow and he's been yellow with a few red patches like in the picture for the past month and a half. He hasn't gotten better but he also hasn't gotten worse.

All of my water parameters are good except alkalinity is a little low, which I've ordered an alkalinity fix solution for.

Is there any advice anyone can give me? Is he secretly dead? Is the low alkalinity what's bothering him or was it the trauma of being knocked over? Is recovery likely? Any advice would help. All of my soft corals are healthy and thriving.

IMG_20230706_032357934.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being knocked over and moving the coral around will bother it. Changing alk is very hard on corals, what is your alk and what level of alk did it come from? Any type of parameters change will bother corals. What is the phosphate level? How old is the tank? What are the water parameters? A full tank picture always helps show whats going on in the tank.

Really need more clues to offer suggestion

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SeaweedGecko

SeaweedGecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely honest, the LFS said not to worry about alkalinity, phosphate, calcium, etc. and focus on pH and salinity, so my alkalinity has probably always been 80 ppm/4.5 dKh. I've had the tank for 9 months, but it was established 8 years ago by a friend (the friend moved and gave the tank to me, but she only kept clownfish and gobies all that time). I've been keeping soft corals, like Zoas and Kenyan trees for 4 months with no problems that I could tell.
Salinity 1.025
Phosphate 2.0 (I've ordered Seachem Phosguard to help)
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Calcium 450
pH 8.2, but I am using a buffer to get it closer to 8.3
I'm also using All-for-Reef to help with trace elements.
My LFS is full of so many beautiful corals that take up the entire tanks. I wanted to go strictly by their advice so that I could have tanks like theirs. I don't know why they would lie, especially since I would have been happy buying test kits and fixes from them.

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don' take my word for it, but don't take the LFS word either, do your own googling. Find out for yourself, is alk, phosphate, and calcium important when keeping corals? What are the most important tests for corals? Copy/paste these questions into google and learn.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SeaweedGecko

SeaweedGecko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don' take my word for it, but don't take the LFS word either, do your own googling. Find out for yourself, is alk, phosphate, and calcium important when keeping corals? What are the most important tests for corals? Copy/paste these questions into google and learn.
Of course they're important. I've literally been googling all of this which is why I tested everything and bought things to help. I want to know if the Pavona is still alive and saveable. I came to a coral forum to see if there was anything else I should know.
Also, google isn't the best source. I've found so many contradicting answers and I haven't found Pavonas that are red and yellow like mine is now. It's really disheartening to sign up to a forum for help and just receive "google it". What's the point of this entire website if we all should just Google our questions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back