Pax Bellum

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following here! :) Always wanted one of them, it's just hard to justify the price! I am sure you have seen this already if you're looking in to buying one of those bad boys!

I was seriously considering it, but I had room for a large refugium and decided to spend some money on proper lights for that in stead. It's easier- and for me at least it was cheaper since I had the room! :)

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following here! :) Always wanted one of them, it's just hard to justify the price! I am sure you have seen this already if you're looking in to buying one of those bad boys!

I was seriously considering it, but I had room for a large refugium and decided to spend some money on proper lights for that in stead. It's easier- and for me at least it was cheaper since I had the room! :)
Yeah they’re pricey alright but I’ve got a mate who is shutting down his tank and he’s got a pax for sale.
I don’t have room for a fuge but I could fit a pax in the cabinet, and I’ve seen videos and read that they’re good reactors but the cleaning is annoying.
I started running gfo to control high phosphates and it’s working, but chaeto is the better way to go for nutrient export imo.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’re pricey alright but I’ve got a mate who is shutting down his tank and he’s got a pax for sale.
I don’t have room for a fuge but I could fit a pax in the cabinet, and I’ve seen videos and read that they’re good reactors but the cleaning is annoying.
I started running gfo to control high phosphates and it’s working, but chaeto is the better way to go for nutrient export imo.
All algae reactors are annoying to clean; the PAX is no different! :p If the price is reasonable and you're set on an algae reactor, they don't get any better than these ones I reckon!

Plus- if you appreciate the gear factor, it's another plus in the book..

I doubt you can find anyone arguing with the build quality of these!

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All algae reactors are annoying to clean; the PAX is no different! :p If the price is reasonable and you're set on an algae reactor, they don't get any better than these ones I reckon!

Plus- if you appreciate the gear factor, it's another plus in the book..

I doubt you can find anyone arguing with the build quality of these!
Stop trying to convince me to get it! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
He said he’d sell it to me for less than half what he paid new and it’s only 3 months old, so yeah it’s a pretty reasonable price.
I agree It’s a great piece of kit and I’ve only read great things about them, so maybe I just answered my own question lol.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop trying to convince me to get it! :face-with-tears-of-joy:
He said he’d sell it to me for less than half what he paid new and it’s only 3 months old, so yeah it’s a pretty reasonable price.
I agree It’s a great piece of kit and I’ve only read great things about them, so maybe I just answered my own question lol.
Season 4 Reaction GIF by The Office

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Arid N18 is great. takes my fifteen minutes to harvest and clean. i lightly clean the coiled lines with faucet spray bar and tooth brush and only really focus on the light tube. as long as that is clean it grows chaeto. i harvest 1/2 to 2/3 every 10 days and this is my normal harvest on a light to medium loaded 75 Dt with 22 gal sump.
pax bellum.jpg

arid 2.jpg

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Arid N18 is great. takes my fifteen minutes to harvest and clean. i lightly clean the coiled lines with faucet spray bar and tooth brush and only really focus on the light tube. as long as that is clean it grows chaeto. i harvest 1/2 to 2/3 every 10 days and this is my normal harvest on a light to medium loaded 75 Dt with 22 gal sump.
pax bellum.jpg

arid 2.jpg
Nice! What pump do you run it with and how much chaeto do you start off with?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! What pump do you run it with and how much chaeto do you start off with?
been running a 5 year old mj1200 and when i first started harvesting i would only leave a softball size of chaeto in the reactor. it worked well but mine works better if i leave a little more. When i harvest too much i get higher nutrient swings. Better for me to harvest 7 to 10 days and only remove about two thirds of the chaeto (easier too). i dont scrub mine down like i used to when i harvest. i just pull the chaeto out and set aside a bundle that i'm going to use and bag the rest for my LFS. I then just scrub the center tube clean for the light bar, and rinse the cords with my sink spray nozzle. 15 minutes from unplug to power up (if i dont get distracted) ;)

i highly recommend their quick disconnects too. push and twist to pull the reactor and walk to the sink. Easy peezy

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been running a 5 year old mj1200 and when i first started harvesting i would only leave a softball size of chaeto in the reactor. it worked well but mine works better if i leave a little more. When i harvest too much i get higher nutrient swings. Better for me to harvest 7 to 10 days and only remove about two thirds of the chaeto (easier too). i dont scrub mine down like i used to when i harvest. i just pull the chaeto out and set aside a bundle that i'm going to use and bag the rest for my LFS. I then just scrub the center tube clean for the light bar, and rinse the cords with my sink spray nozzle. 15 minutes from unplug to power up (if i dont get distracted) ;)

i highly recommend their quick disconnects too. push and twist to pull the reactor and walk to the sink. Easy peezy
Thanks for your detailed replies appreciate it!
I'll also be getting the N18, but algae reactors are new to me even tho I've been in and out of this hobby for 20 years lol.
You run the pump 24/7 right and do you know the flow rate thru your reactor?
And I take it your pax light is set opposite to your display lights??

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're welcome

have an old PRM 1/2 inch flow meter and last time i checked i was pushing 210 gph. the PRM measures in GPM so that's right around 3.5 gpm. i push about 3 feet to the reactor and my pump is situated in my skimmer chamber. i could get away with a 900 pump if i ran it from my return chamber but not a lot of room in there.

you'll lose some gph as the chaeto grows and fills the chamber but that's normal. That's why i went with the 1200 pump. every system is different and some run more gph through but my measly 210 gph works fine for me.

i run mine opposite my lighting schedule. when i first started running it i would harvest every two weeks but once it bedded in and became seasoned (broken in) the N18 started really growing chaeto well. i then started harvesting a little bit every 7 to 10 days otherwise the reactor would get too packed and melt off some at the center. I also notice my peak pH would start to slowly start dropping when the reactor gets packed so that's a good indicator for me to harvest.

i only had DIY reactors previously that didn't work too well so the PAX purchase was a good one for me.

Edit! forgot to mention that i still have the same LED bar that come with the unit and i've had the N18 for a few years now. i've only purchased a replacement diffuser set up since the light tube will get lightly scratched over time when you clean it and hinder the light transfer a bit. Just saw how much these things cost now and YIKES. They work very well and the materials are second to none but they are around 200 more than what i paid for mine. Sign of the times i guess:disappointed-face:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're welcome

have an old PRM 1/2 inch flow meter and last time i checked i was pushing 210 gph. the PRM measures in GPM so that's right around 3.5 gpm. i push about 3 feet to the reactor and my pump is situated in my skimmer chamber. i could get away with a 900 pump if i ran it from my return chamber but not a lot of room in there.

you'll lose some gph as the chaeto grows and fills the chamber but that's normal. That's why i went with the 1200 pump. every system is different and some run more gph through but my measly 210 gph works fine for me.

i run mine opposite my lighting schedule. when i first started running it i would harvest every two weeks but once it bedded in and became seasoned (broken in) the N18 started really growing chaeto well. i then started harvesting a little bit every 7 to 10 days otherwise the reactor would get too packed and melt off some at the center. I also notice my peak pH would start to slowly start dropping when the reactor gets packed so that's a good indicator for me to harvest.

i only had DIY reactors previously that didn't work too well so the PAX purchase was a good one for me.

Edit! forgot to mention that i still have the same LED bar that come with the unit and i've had the N18 for a few years now. i've only purchased a replacement diffuser set up since the light tube will get lightly scratched over time when you clean it and hinder the light transfer a bit. Just saw how much these things cost now and YIKES. They work very well and the materials are second to none but they are around 200 more than what i paid for mine. Sign of the times i guess:disappointed-face:
Thanks!
I’ve picked up the pax and it has an Eheim 1000 compact pump connected, my mate said it was fine and had no issues growing chaeto.
I’ve also ordered the quick disconnect fittings as I like your theory of easy in easy out, especially as it’s going to be sitting in the cabinet next to the sump.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're welcome

Hey mate, I just set up the pax on my kitchen bench to do a test run and leak check.
I also installed the same quick disconnects as you, but what’s your process for removing and disconnecting the pax?
When I turned the pump off and disconnected the tubes, water started pouring out of the bottom tube. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I’m curious to know how you do yours.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mate, I just set up the pax on my kitchen bench to do a test run and leak check.
I also installed the same quick disconnects as you, but what’s your process for removing and disconnecting the pax?
When I turned the pump off and disconnected the tubes, water started pouring out of the bottom tube. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but I’m curious to know how you do yours.
i have my N18 quick disconnects at the same level. the feed line QD is zip tied to the hanger flange so they are side by side. when i shut down the feed pump and disconnect the QD's the siphon breaks and the small amount of water still in the line drains back into the sump. not sure if you can see the little note in the picture.

i can get better ones tonight but at work now
pax bellum.jpg

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my N18 quick disconnects at the same level. the feed line QD is zip tied to the hanger flange so they are side by side. when i shut down the feed pump and disconnect the QD's the siphon breaks and the small amount of water still in the line drains back into the sump. not sure if you can see the little note in the picture.

i can get better ones tonight but at work now
pax bellum.jpg
Oh I see what you’ve done there nice one thanks!
I’ll be doing the same, but I’m still trying to decide whether I should use one of the manifold outlets or the pump. Have you tried both or have you just used a pump?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see what you’ve done there nice one thanks!
I’ll be doing the same, but I’m still trying to decide whether I should use one of the manifold outlets or the pump. Have you tried both or have you just used a pump?
Just the pump for me. I feed from my return chamber where the waters cleanest going out to the reactor. I have no manifold system set up unfortunately. If you decide to run off manifold i would suggest feeding from the return. The direct unfiltered overflow water will gunk up the chaeto faster.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little helpful note as well regarding the quick disconnects. Over time they may be stubborn to grip and twist out when depressing the button. An easy way for me to get a simple grip has been to wet a small piece of paper towel and wrap it over the side i need to twist. That gives me the grip i need to pull them off easy peezy. I'm old so my grip isnt what it used to be :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little helpful note as well regarding the quick disconnects. Over time they may be stubborn to grip and twist out when depressing the button. An easy way for me to get a simple grip has been to wet a small piece of paper towel and wrap it over the side i need to twist. That gives me the grip i need to pull them off easy peezy. I'm old so my grip isnt what it used to be :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
Haha thanks for the advice, I’ll let u know how I go once it’s setup.

David29price

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the larger unit and at first I couldn’t get any chaeto to grow. It just kept slowly dying off. Now I have growth but have to dose daily Chaetogro which seems counterintuitive. My phosphates run high which makes no sense either as there is plenty of it to produce chaeto. I run my light at night at 10 hours and similar flow yet I’ve never seen the growth you have. I even have to use GFO to keep my phosphates down since I can’t get this to grow properly. An ICP test didn’t show anything bad or out of whack. Any ideas? I harvest every two weeks but only get about 2 cups and I have the Arid C30.
IMG_6924.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the larger unit and at first I couldn’t get any chaeto to grow. It just kept slowly dying off. Now I have growth but have to dose daily Chaetogro which seems counterintuitive. My phosphates run high which makes no sense either as there is plenty of it to produce chaeto. I run my light at night at 10 hours and similar flow yet I’ve never seen the growth you have. I even have to use GFO to keep my phosphates down since I can’t get this to grow properly. An ICP test didn’t show anything bad or out of whack. Any ideas? I harvest every two weeks but only get about 2 cups and I have the Arid C30.
IMG_6924.jpeg
what would you guess your flow through is?

you mention your PO4 is high, but what are your nitrates?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back