PaxBellum AIRD Reactor..

Andre Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching all over the place a there doesn't seem to be any forums about this reactor...I can't be the only person running one.. Anyway I picked up the n18 about a month ago and it works wonders for removing Nitrate and Phosphate.
IMG_20180725_203210.jpeg
MVIMG_20180714_180653.jpeg

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey do you dose any Nitrates or phosphates to your tank?

Andre, I don’t dose nitrates or phosphates. This tank is relatively new at approx 2 years old. I started with dry rock and I’m sure there is no shortage of phosphate. I do however dose the additives that came with the Arid. JP

doubleohwhatever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a C30 and it's working well. The algae issues I've had for the past three years are gone. The algae in my display tank was a freaking nightmare. 120 watts of UV did nothing.

I will say that for what it is, the pricing is crazy. It looked all complex in the photos but the C30 is literally a section of PVC pipe with several pieces of cut acrylic. You could make a *very* similar DIY version if you have access to a laser cutter or a cnc router. There is perhaps $150 in parts for the C30. Unfortunately it appears that Pax Bellum has these patented out the wazoo. However, they can't stop you from doing a DIY build and their pricing makes that an extremely attractive option.

Anyway, I guess my verdict is that the thing works but they're priced too high for what they are.

IMG_20180810_031934.jpg

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that for what it is, the pricing is crazy. It looked all complex in the photos but the C30 is literally a section of PVC pipe with several pieces of cut acrylic. You could make a *very* similar DIY version if you have access to a laser cutter or a cnc router. There is perhaps $150 in parts for the C30. Unfortunately it appears that Pax Bellum has these patented out the wazoo. However, they can't stop you from doing a DIY build and their pricing makes that an extremely attractive option.

Anyway, I guess my verdict is that the thing works but they're priced too high for what they are.

IMG_20180810_031934.jpg [/QUOTE]

Nice setup Doubleohwhatever
I agree they are expensive, but I much prefer the internal LED bar than wrapping a strip of LED's around an acrylic housing. They also didn't skimp when it comes to the heat sink off the LED's. Support has also been good from them, and Unique Corals. I'm thinking of adding the CO2 injection for use with my CA reactor.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see another thread pop up. I’m still working on my build but purchased an N18 about a year ago. I modified it so I could hard plumb into my manifold.

I posed this question in the other thread but did not get an answer. Has anyone been successful growing other algae’s in the reactor (other than chaeto)?

efe9d214575b977409d9c609f66f2fdd.jpg

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of one of these, but I don't want to plumb it outside the tank...so NO SALE for me till they can make this thing go into your sump.
Andre Arnold, I see you have yours in your sump.....can you explain a little bit? I was under the impression you don't want the TYVEK cover to be wet 24/7.

OP
OP
Andre Arnold

Andre Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of one of these, but I don't want to plumb it outside the tank...so NO SALE for me till they can make this thing go into your sump.
Andre Arnold, I see you have yours in your sump.....can you explain a little bit? I was under the impression you don't want the TYVEK cover to be wet 24/7.
Everything I read said it was okay as long as the upper portion (heatsink) didn't get wet.. I've been running a month so far with no problems.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the cheap imitation that Bulk Reef Supply sells ,, what a piece of junk ,, worked great for like 3 weeks,, until the light stopped working ,, found out later,, others are having the same problem ,, Now ,, I am back to growing Chaeto in a tray in my sump tank,,, with coralline algae growing everywhere because of the cheap Lowe's cone shaped grow light I am using ,,, this just won't do,,,

My plan was / is ,,, to sit up a stand alone Chaeto refugium tank ,,, by the time I buy the tank ,, the $300 Chaeto grow light ,, heater ,, plumb the thing ,,, I could buy the Pax Bellum ,,, I just don't want to take another hit buying something that's isn't all that its cracked to be or doesn't work the way its supposed to ,, or the light breaks after 3 weeks :(

Is there still a long wait for them after you order one,, do they have a smaller model for my 150g tank,, or do I have to get one that fits up to a 300g tank lol

Guess what I am looking for here is ,,, someone to tell me this is worth spending the money on :)

I see on the Uniqe Corals web site,, they say the ARID N18 is in stock ,,,

Last edited:

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the cheap imitation that Bulk Reef Supply sells ,, what a piece of junk ,, worked great for like 3 weeks,, until the light stopped working ,, found out later,, others are having the same problem ,, Now ,, I am back to growing Chaeto in a tray in my sump tank,,, with coralline algae growing everywhere because of the cheap Lowe's cone shaped grow light I am using ,,, this just won't do,,,

My plan was / is ,,, to sit up a stand alone Chaeto refugium tank ,,, by the time I buy the tank ,, the $300 Chaeto grow light ,, heater ,, plumb the thing ,,, I could buy the Pax Bellum ,,, I just don't want to take another hit buying something that's isn't all that its cracked to be or doesn't work the way its supposed to ,, or the light breaks after 3 weeks :(

Is there still a long wait for them after you order one,, do they have a smaller model for my 150g tank,, or do I have to get one that fits up to a 300g tank lol

Guess what I am looking for here is ,,, someone to tell me this is worth spending the money on :)

The smallest is the N18. I waited about 3 months for mine after ordering from UC.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I too have mine in my sump. I leak tested my system with the Pax Bellum running for 3 weeks without issue. The UC website states it is safe to put in the sump as long as the top of the unit stays dry. Mine is only submerged 10 inches of it 16 so no issues.

Not sure what cover you are referring to- I know the original version came with a separate cover, the current version is one solid without any extra cover.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 134G tank and bought the N24, mainly because I'm lazy and wouldn't have to empty it as often. I also remember it might have been in stock, while the others had a lead time. I have mine externally plumbed and it grows nice lime green chaeto like nobodies business. I didn't spend much time looking at other brands as I only saw one other at the time I bought mine. I kept thinking there must really be some light output on the PB because of the big heat sink. It definitely serves it's purpose. Mine came with an insulated type wrap to keep the room from shining like the sun. Even with it on, the light from the top is pretty bright until it start filling up with chaeto. I have been extremely happy with mine. Probably will add the CO2 injection piece and start up my calcium reactor. The include some chemicals to help inhibit chaeto growth and it does help. JP

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 150 gallon tank with about 30 fish. I use the N24 and it is working very well. Ive been using it for a little over 1 month with the supplied Iron supplement as well. I am harvesting 1/3 to 1/2 of the cheato about every 5 to 6 days.
My tank is able to maintain NO3 of 2-5 and Po4 at around 0.03- 0.06 ppm

I bought it through Reefbum's website and had it delivered directly from PaxBellum in about 2 weeks.

Ecvernon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I had room for an adequately sized refugium I would go with that. I only have a small space in my sump and it wasn't working.

If you have the space for a larger refugium, you could light it with an LED grow light from amazon.

Also you would have to make sure you have proper flow through the Arid and have to perform maintenance on the Arid.
If I had the room for a fuge that is what I would have chosen.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lot of room either ,, I was thinking of buying the stand alone Refugium that Advanced Acrylic sells on their web site ,,, https://advancedacrylics.com/collec...products/new-item-pvc-hybrid-acrylic-refugium ,, I would much rather have the Pax Bellium though ,, I will send Unique Corals a message ,, make sure the thing is in stock ,, any waiting time longer than 2 weeks ,, will have me going with the Refugium ,,, thanks for all the replies :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back