PC Rainbow Color

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a small colony of PC Rainbow... it’s grown out from a small frag. It’s growing great, but it’s barely got any color... just a hint of light pink, but nothing else.

Color in my other hard corals are normal... montis are bright, other acropora have great color, but for some reason I can’t get this PC Rainbow to color up!

Any ideas?

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem mine is brown with a red tint lol. But right next to it is a pink lemonade that looks great. I’m probably not much help as this is my first real try with sps but I’ll be following.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine actually looked better in lower light, like 120 PAR in the middle rather than the top. It was mostly green and red with yellow mixed in. That was until I went on vacation and my 4” piece was 90% dead when I came home :(

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine actually looked better in lower light, like 120 PAR in the middle rather than the top. It was mostly green and red with yellow mixed in. That was until I went on vacation and my 4” piece was 90% dead when I came home :(

Mine is in the middle of my tank, so it’s not getting roasted but it’s also not low light either.

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PC Rainbow is just now showing more coloration, and it's probably been well over 6 months or longer for that to happen! However, I did also make some lighting changes, so that may have been the catalyst also.

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a small colony of PC Rainbow... it’s grown out from a small frag. It’s growing great, but it’s barely got any color... just a hint of light pink, but nothing else.

Color in my other hard corals are normal... montis are bright, other acropora have great color, but for some reason I can’t get this PC Rainbow to color up!

Any ideas?

0df1374d3e447f812aa5c51f6b49ee6e.jpg

This was a little while back. I increased light coverage and have kept parameters stable and I’m starting to get the orange skin that turns red/pink at the tips. Growth tips are light pink/white. Base has green and purple growth edges.

High flow system under 10x3’ T5’s. 4 coral plus, 4 aqua blue special, 2 actinic. 200+ PAR.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I bought I’m pretty sure it’s close to the same thing as pc rainbow It actually looked just like this for the first 5 days or so then turned mostly green and now just reddish brown but growing well so...
2C041597-2294-4E3B-86A1-0C966D94DBD5.jpeg

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0df1374d3e447f812aa5c51f6b49ee6e.jpg

This was a little while back. I increased light coverage and have kept parameters stable and I’m starting to get the orange skin that turns red/pink at the tips. Growth tips are light pink/white. Base has green and purple growth edges.

High flow system under 10x3’ T5’s. 4 coral plus, 4 aqua blue special, 2 actinic. 200+ PAR.

This looks similar to mine - but your is a little more pink. I have good PE just like you do though.

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the one I bought I’m pretty sure it’s close to the same thing as pc rainbow It actually looked just like this for the first 5 days or so then turned mostly green and now just reddish brown but growing well so...
2C041597-2294-4E3B-86A1-0C966D94DBD5.jpeg

The frags of it I see for sale (from the same guy I got mine from) have a green base that turns orange-ish and then into redish/pink towards the tips.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take it personal if PC Rainbow take a while to color up. There are many good hobbyists who struggle with it. For me, it seems to need to get larger and be in the system for a while before it gets good color, but it grows well all of the time.

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take it personal if PC Rainbow take a while to color up. There are many good hobbyists who struggle with it. For me, it seems to need to get larger and be in the system for a while before it gets good color, but it grows well all of the time.

Thanks - sounds like exactly what's happening to mine.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the same issue with Wet Thumbs Tierra del Fuego. ...just blah as it was growing. Now, it stands out as one of the most colorful and contrasting pieces in my tank. It just needed time too.

All of this said, I have a friend with a cantaloupe size PC Rainbow that is just kinda red-grey looking and has never colored up. The rest of his stuff looks really good. This is a finicky coral where I have never heard for-sure what makes them happy - with most stuff, you can get an idea (lots of light with some tables, lower light with smooth skinned, higher N and P with monochromatic stuff, lower N and P with corals with lost of contrast and colors, etc.), but PC Rainbow just seems to be an enigma.

OP
OP
goldenhurricane2

goldenhurricane2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the same issue with Wet Thumbs Tierra del Fuego. ...just blah as it was growing. Now, it stands out as one of the most colorful and contrasting pieces in my tank. It just needed time too.

All of this said, I have a friend with a cantaloupe size PC Rainbow that is just kinda red-grey looking and has never colored up. The rest of his stuff looks really good. This is a finicky coral where I have never heard for-sure what makes them happy - with most stuff, you can get an idea (lots of light with some tables, lower light with smooth skinned, higher N and P with monochromatic stuff, lower N and P with corals with lost of contrast and colors, etc.), but PC Rainbow just seems to be an enigma.

That makes me feel a little better that it's not just me having issues!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back