OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank looks real good, and the low tank is going to be great !

good work

Thanks! I know its nothing special, but this tank basically ran on autopilot for almost 2 years and everything was doing great so I decided to change it all up lol. Seriously though, the lack of maintenance has really caught up to me and I am trying to get everything cleaned up (specifically my nasty sandbed) and stable with the new routine.

I really want to add some new rock and rescape the entire tank but I will either be moving or tearing down this tank within 2 years, (bedroom will be needed for a theoretical 2nd kid) so I will probably wait and see what happens. Then again, 2 years is a long time....

I forgot to mention that I have now started using the LA salt and so far am really happy with it. Mixes up much cleaner than IO and the parameters are right where I like them.

Edit: The LA salt (ie fritz) has had multiple parameter and clarity issues. I will be switching salts when I finish this salt.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I know its nothing special, but this tank basically ran on autopilot for almost 2 years and everything was doing great so I decided to change it all up lol. Seriously though, the lack of maintenance has really caught up to me and I am trying to get everything cleaned up (specifically my nasty sandbed) and stable with the new routine.

I really want to add some new rock and rescape the entire tank but I will either be moving or tearing down this tank within 2 years, (bedroom will be needed for a theoretical 2nd kid) so I will probably wait and see what happens. Then again, 2 years is a long time....

I forgot to mention that I have now started using the LA salt and so far am really happy with it. Mixes up much cleaner than IO and the parameters are right where I like them.

I use it too. Parameters are right on, despite taking a little longer to clear up.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update, I decided to stop daily wc's and do larger bi-weekly water changes. There are a lot of logistical reasons why I decided to do this, and I also think it may help the overall stability of the system. I also changed up flow again and am really close to getting it just right.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank, have you thought about adding a second current USA bar to the sump. Check out my cheato growth under 2. I started from a golf ball and have a tennis ball and a small soccer ball now ha ha ha. Just growing out the tennis ball in case I meet a reefer in need. I’ve had to throw it away. I keep both on 100% at a schedule opposing the display tank.

image.jpg

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the bad pictures, using an iPhone 7 and the moment I started taking pics the stupid things went into “storm mode” (I use to run them on my display and I loved when that happened it was soooo cool)

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank, have you thought about adding a second current USA bar to the sump. Check out my cheato growth under 2. I started from a golf ball and have a tennis ball and a small soccer ball now ha ha ha. Just growing out the tennis ball in case I meet a reefer in need. I’ve had to throw it away. I keep both on 100% at a schedule opposing the display tank.

image.jpg

I was planning on changing up my fuge lighting but I ended up taking the fuge offline. 2 of the orbit marines would have done really well imo.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent several hours today with the wife redoing my aquascape. It's not perfect and there are several corals that still may be moved but I like it a lot better than the last redesign. I will get some better pictures tomorrow, but for now here is a sneak peak.

Just after getting everything in place.
IMG_1403.jpg

Things are starting to clear up...
IMG_1405.jpg

Major props to all of you who have done an in-tank rescape on an established aquarium. It is not easy...

I took this the other day. I have a pistol shrimp that used to be with 2 pink bar gobies, but they have both since passed. It seems my pistol shrimp has found a new buddy :)

IMG_1392.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s great to have a buddy!

I think the new aquascape is fantastic. Having more negative space is really drawing me in. Makes the tank feel bigger too. I liked it before, but looking at it now there are spots my eyes were not drawn too as easily. Here I feel like I see everything.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the new aquascape. Have you considered a plate coral? I think it'd look really nice in your sandbed.

I have thought about it but in the past, the flow was a little too high on the sandbed in the middle of the tank. Now that I have removed 2 of the powerheads it may work.

It’s great to have a buddy!

I think the new aquascape is fantastic. Having more negative space is really drawing me in. Makes the tank feel bigger too. I liked it before, but looking at it now there are spots my eyes were not drawn too as easily. Here I feel like I see everything.

Thanks! It was mainly the wife's idea. If anything I was going to add more rock lol. I'll just let her do the scaping on my new tanks. ;)

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not everything has fully opened, but here are some pics of the new scape. 2 Large rocks were moved to the sump, and two of the powerheads were removed.

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

The flame angel really pops in this one!
IMG_1416.jpg

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, any new pics? I love your leathers.

OP
OP
P

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking better but is still adjusting to the new maintenance schedule/routine.

This tank has gone through a lot of changes recently and I’m surprised at how well it seems to be recuperating.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back