OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although this might not be an ‘official requirement’ (but I think it is) you will notice that most if not all (and now I will need to check! Lol) of the reef squad have the R2R Excellence Award, and to get this you have to be very courteous, friendly, helpful, welcoming and generally a good member of R2R and try to make it the great and friendly place it is. If your experienced in certain things that will also help. And then you ‘may’ get nominated and selected and it will generally come as a great surprise out of the blue, and honour, when you do.

We’re all here to try and help out were we can and I called in because someone put out the reef squad ‘bat call’ and I think the acclimatisation question has been answered as ok.
Ok cool thank you what do you do to get the excellence award

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool thank you what do you do to get the excellence award
Same stuff as mentioned for ReefSquad. Active, helpful, knowledgeable and filled with the spirit of reefing. Anyone can nominate someone for Excellence. Best done using the Report feature.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same stuff as mentioned for ReefSquad. Active, helpful, knowledgeable and filled with the spirit of reefing. Anyone can nominate someone for Excellence. Best done using the Report feature.
ok cool thank you :)
what do you think of the build so far?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I don't think we have any Reef Squad members in Australia, so that would be a nice diversity thing and your expertise could be knowing the Australia market. IMHO most people in the US love Australia (both the land and the people).

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I don't think we have any Reef Squad members in Australia, so that would be a nice diversity thing and your expertise could be knowing the Australia market. IMHO most people in the US love Australia (both the land and the people).
Sick! How in depth is considered in depth if that makes sense?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like it.

I am guessing that you a somewhat new to the reef game. If so this is quite a nice first or even second tank.

My main concern is the mandy's, two in such a small tank. Be sure you can also see a good number of pods. You can also feed them baby brine shrimp, you would need to hatch them yourself.

If you are more interested in that in my sig there is a link to @Paul B 's brine shrimp operation. It is quite basic, just takes some time.

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like it.

I am guessing that you a somewhat new to the reef game. If so this is quite a nice first or even second tank.

My main concern is the mandy's, two in such a small tank. Be sure you can also see a good number of pods. You can also feed them baby brine shrimp, you would need to hatch them yourself.

If you are more interested in that in my sig there is a link to @Paul B 's brine shrimp operation. It is quite basic, just takes some time.
Yea this is my first tank, thanks :)
The Mandy’s are eating and I’ve thought of the bbs but was also thinking of trying to make a copepod hatchery

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23/6/19

Added a second stromb snail and got a Japanese turbo snail yesterday.

Did a 40% water change today

Calcium test kit is stuffed or I'm more colour blind than I thought, it's suppost to go from pink to blue but I couldn't see any pink just really faint blues

Suction cup on thermometer and algae clip are both on their last days

Blood shrimp is shy and has found himself a cave will sometimes go a inch from his cave at feeding time

3B309F4A-EDAE-4D49-81F0-15EAF57FC739.jpeg
B2EDBE6A-7D6A-4D95-81B6-2DD0BC5F9876.jpeg

Stromb snail next to shrimps cave
image.jpg
image.jpg

Napoleon the second
Photo after water change
image.jpg

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to @Crabs McJones and the team at Reef2Reef for the reef 365 feature :)

Tank updates
I seeded copepods from Livefish.com.au in my sump and the mandarin fish seem to be putting on weight again which is great and I'm looking into a brine shrimp hatchery (it was about 2500 pods that I put in)

Unfortunately my hammer corral attacked my acropora and likely kier it but it seems to be recovering if anyone knows how to frag a wall hammer coral please share

I also added a orange ricordia which is going well and had a small blue one attached to its base

I also got a red sea foundation pro test kit which tells me I need to adjust the water a little as the
Magnesium = 1480ppm
Calcium = 505ppm
pH = 8.1
dKH = 8 ish (I'm slightly colour blind so it's hard for me to tell) .
2119F706-FE68-4A2B-8520-A2EFEBCBEF1E.jpeg
3B0DE0C6-9390-4D4D-BFAA-3C182E1D0B95.jpeg
FE07C105-6D81-49F4-B1B2-12ED91536100.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my alkalinity up and my corals seem happier also got a huge acropora colony for a really good price and a reef shop near me

Need to do something about my hammer coral it's growing quick and stinging everything around it but I can't find any information on how to frag a wall hammer coral
45360AAD-155A-4F56-899F-B37052D7414B.jpeg
A2547102-D052-40D2-B5B6-08B125F90FD0.jpeg
814B6779-ED84-4299-92D4-111A17059CB4.jpeg

OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current problems and planned upgrades update

Current problems
My two lobos are dying 1 due to stromb snail repeatedly knocking it over, the other due to my hammer coral growing and stinging it without me seeing

Fire fish aggression, one of my firefish is picking on the other, unfortunately there is nothing I can do as to catch it I would have to take apart my tank likely killing the pod population

Planned upgrades

Replace thermometer suction cap or
thermometer

AI prime fuge for my chaeto

Set up a ATO

Set up auto dosing

Upgrade skimmer to red sea 600 skimmer

Upgrade return pump to Vectra S2

I know these are overkill however I am planning on upgrading and will use these in the upgraded tank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Peach02

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made this because I was reading about water chemistry and how each thing effects each other and couldn't understand it properly. Essentially temperature effects everything, ph effects calcium and so on, so in my pursuit to stabilise parameters ill go top down.
My temperature is pretty stable but I don't have a chiller and my thermometer is ****. I heard ph changes through the day due to photosynthesis in plants, so ill start running my refugium light when the day tank lights are off to have constant photosynthesis and hopefully stabilise the pH once thats stabilised I can try to stabilise calcium, magnesium and alkalinity.

But first ill fix the most simple problem the thernomiter and the salinity, tonight ill purchase a new thermometer and ATO tonight after I finish up.
Reef Chemestry.jpg

Back