Pectinia Coral - Cold Water Shock

Zachvet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I ordered a pectinia coral from Divers Den and they sent it with very minimal heating pads resulting in pretty cold water. I'd estimate 55-60 degrees by the time I got it yesterday afternoon. I let it float in the bag for 2 hours to warm up and then acclimated it with tank water slowly over another 1.5hrs. I'm certain it has gotten some nasty shock from the cold water and I am worried it will die off on me.

I have been watching it today and its pretty clearly receding - you can even see the skeleton through the mouth. Is there anything that can be done to save it as this point or is it a goner? I've thought about an iodine dip but given this is an issue caused by the cold water, I doubt that would help...

1639002617264.png

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been through this before with a australomussa. I couldnt even save one mouth.

Gl. Hope someone can offer some advice.

OP
OP
Zachvet

Zachvet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright fast forward a few days and the pectinia has lost about 60% of its flesh. I moved it to a low light / low flow section of the tank and I haven't noticed any additional receding of flesh over the past 24 hours. I feel like this is good news. I will continue to monitor over the weekend. Once I feel it has stabilized I will get it in a better spot but I wanted to get it into the shade away from my bright radion blues.

I am worried that both mouths have died off - does pectinia stand a chance to bounce back from any flesh in the absence of a mouth? Any other suggestions from anyone? This frag is a beautiful rainbow pectinia unlike any i've seen (blues, greens, yellows) and I really dont want to lose it.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fleshy stonies like that are tough to ship. Damage from the skeleton (or later infection from small damage) causes most mortalities not so much cold. I have seen cold in the bag many times before and not had any mail coral fatalities before, even with similar corals. In the future I recommend acclimating faster. Float the bag only until the temps equalize and then put the coral in (dip first if you do that). Leaving it in a bag with stagnant and bacteria-laden water is usually the worst thing you can do on arrival. It's probably not gonna make it (you must know by now)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back