Pectinia Coral - Cold Water Shock

  • Thread starter Thread starter Zachvet
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Zachvet

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2019
Messages
108
Reaction score
108
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I ordered a pectinia coral from Divers Den and they sent it with very minimal heating pads resulting in pretty cold water. I'd estimate 55-60 degrees by the time I got it yesterday afternoon. I let it float in the bag for 2 hours to warm up and then acclimated it with tank water slowly over another 1.5hrs. I'm certain it has gotten some nasty shock from the cold water and I am worried it will die off on me.

I have been watching it today and its pretty clearly receding - you can even see the skeleton through the mouth. Is there anything that can be done to save it as this point or is it a goner? I've thought about an iodine dip but given this is an issue caused by the cold water, I doubt that would help...

1639002617264.png
 
I've been through this before with a australomussa. I couldnt even save one mouth.

Gl. Hope someone can offer some advice.
 
Alright fast forward a few days and the pectinia has lost about 60% of its flesh. I moved it to a low light / low flow section of the tank and I haven't noticed any additional receding of flesh over the past 24 hours. I feel like this is good news. I will continue to monitor over the weekend. Once I feel it has stabilized I will get it in a better spot but I wanted to get it into the shade away from my bright radion blues.

I am worried that both mouths have died off - does pectinia stand a chance to bounce back from any flesh in the absence of a mouth? Any other suggestions from anyone? This frag is a beautiful rainbow pectinia unlike any i've seen (blues, greens, yellows) and I really dont want to lose it.
 
Fleshy stonies like that are tough to ship. Damage from the skeleton (or later infection from small damage) causes most mortalities not so much cold. I have seen cold in the bag many times before and not had any mail coral fatalities before, even with similar corals. In the future I recommend acclimating faster. Float the bag only until the temps equalize and then put the coral in (dip first if you do that). Leaving it in a bag with stagnant and bacteria-laden water is usually the worst thing you can do on arrival. It's probably not gonna make it (you must know by now)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new